$9 RDS-TMC traffic receiver and subscription

The newer type with the antenna built into the car charger will not work on your model.

I am using tomtom 720 with SE Navcore 9.132 and NA 855.2884 map.

My question is what kind of TMC receiver is supported for my tomtom go 720?

I tested connecting the TMC from my friend's TomTom XXL 535?T, 720 is able to detect the TMC and I see the traffic bar, the problem is it is always trying to receiving and never received any traffic, anybody know how to make it works? thanks. BTW, I am from Toronto, Canada

You are running hacked software on your 720. As such, who knows what ramifications there are vis-a-vis what does work and what will work and what should work and what doesn't work on the unit.

App 8.351 (the proper one) does allow for the rds-tmc antenna to work on that model.

The 535T ships with the new lifetime antenna. That antenna is not compatible with the GO 720.

The earlier antennas that are compatible with the 720 are now discontinued.

$9 RDS-TMC traffic receiver from Amazon

Someone in a previous post was trying to source the old-style $9 RDS receivers. I just bought one from Amazon, who fronts for a company called DirectDeals4U. The device as delivered looks different from the picture:

1. Same mini-style plug but straight, not 90-degree. May affect how you mount the unit. My GO 720 hangs under the dash so it wasn't a factor.

2. The bulge with the unit's electronics is in the middle of the length of antenna wire, not the end as pictured. The end that goes up by the windshield is about the size of a pencil eraser and easy to hide.

Soon as I plugged it in I got a signal. I haven't even bothered to register it with TomTom yet for my free year.

I also just bought the $ 3.50 + $4.50 ( or so) shipping unit from amazon, and it seems to work just fine. The advert didnt mention anyting about any subsciption, and frankly, I wasnt aware one needed it when I bought it. But seems one dont... I does give traffic info here in Houston Texas. Maybe it has a 1 year subs included, or maybe lifetime, I dont know. It does work though.:D

Soon as I plugged it in I got a signal. I haven't even bothered to register it with TomTom yet for my free year.

No need to register for the traffic. The expiration date (if any) is stored on the antenna's itself.

I just decoded my RDS-TMC expiration date and it's Feb 13, 2026... could this really be true? I paid for another year ($60) after my free first year... if it is true, then that's awesome... but is there any way it could be wrong and it will actually expire this year?

Also, I decoded the "Last Connected" date and it was correct... showing today

I just decoded my RDS-TMC expiration date and it's Feb 13, 2026... could this really be true?

No. While the Last Connected value is a straight unix time stamp, the Expiration value is either encoded or otherwise meaningless.

My Expiration value translated to some time in 2042, but it expired last month, one year after first plugging it in, as expected.

They really need to offer a lifetime sub for the older units. $60/year is insane.

ApK

No. While the Last Connected value is a straight unix time stamp, the Expiration value is either encoded or otherwise meaningless.

My Expiration value translated to some time in 2042, but it expired last month, one year after first plugging it in, as expected.

They really need to offer a lifetime sub for the older units. $60/year is insane.

ApK

Yes it is... and I don't want to have to "downgrade" to even an XXL550TM to get the lifetime traffic... ugh... come on TT

One Year RD subscription trick?

I know this thread is old, but I am sure somebody is stumbling on it for the first time. Like many posters here, I tried to reset my expiration date to no avail.

I gave in and bought a new antenna for 9 bucks. Seems to work fine. It's cheaper than $60 per year right?

Here's my thinking - could I have just traded for someone else's expired antenna??? I now have 2, so when this newly purchased one expires, I will totally try and plug the old one in again. Heck, maybe I'll try it this week. At any rate, this might be a cheap fix to the $60 annual subscirption scam. I mean c'mon....

Here's my thinking - could I have just traded for someone else's expired antenna??? I now have 2, so when this newly purchased one expires, I will totally try and plug the old one in again. Heck, maybe I'll try it this week. At any rate, this might be a cheap fix to the $60 annual subscirption scam. I mean c'mon....

Hmm. You mean, is the antenna only good for one free year from it's first use, period, or one free year PER tomtom it's plugged into.

I'd suspect it's linked to the antenna alone, but maybe someone's who's tried it in multiple tomtoms can say for sure.

Otherwise, PM me and I'll be happy to cross ship expired antennas with you so we can both try it....seems worth a couple stamps to find out.

ApK

My understanding is that the first use and expiration date info sit in the antenna.

The file is download from the antenna to the Tomtom each time it's plugged in, which is why when you change it on the Tomtom the file just gets overwritten.

Replacement for XL540TM Traffic/charging cord

Anybody know of a good replacement for the X L540TM traffic/charging cord? Lost the old one.

Ask a Question