720 Reboots

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
My 720 started random reboots and I have no idea what would be causing the issue. Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

BTW My USA map is the latest version, just haven't updated my signature yet.

Last edited:
It also appears from your sig that you are using Nav 8.320. That version was never meant for a 720. Did you really just transpose numbers and mean 8.302? If not, I'd suggest you dump 8.320 and download 8.302, the latest app meant for the 720. That may help.

To be honest as you are using a v810 map I would consider reverting back to the v8,010 Navcore as that will give you the full capability of the FM transmitter with none of the stammering/ pauses etc some of us have seen with 8,300 or 8,302. Running any software higher than 8,010 with the map you have will offer no benefits at all as the new features such as IQ Routes II need newer maps in order to function.

David, the 8,320 application was intended for the x20 devices that were using the TomTom Work set-up, when 8,300 was released with all the spoken instruction issues you might remember that quite a few of us were running 8,320 as it did improve the stammering (see Here) - Mike

Yep Mike, I had 8.32 on my unit as well. When I said it wasn't for the 720, I didn't make clear that it WAS for the 720 Work but that version isn't common.

He probably meant 5.5112.

If so it's from a hacked application update meant for the 740's, unsupported on the 720's and offering no benefit.

dhn, I did transpose the numbers you mentioned. I am running NAV 8.302 and MAP 825.2157. Those reboots happen randomly and the unit returns back to previous location.

Well, you have the latest map and application. Have you tried a pin reset? Does the rebooting happen when connected to the car charger or only on battery? If on battery, use the charger. Do you use a sdhc card in the unit? Could it be flakey? Just some things to consider.

If the pin reset doesn't help, well, is it still within the 1-year warranty? (support number is 866-486-6866).

You may want to give them a call.

He probably meant 5.5112.

If so it's from a hacked application update meant for the 740's, unsupported on the 720's and offering no benefit.

I'm behind on the bootloaders - the current one is 5.5128 and I am running 5.5122.

I have a lot of Tom Toms and I like copying firmware back and forth to see what happens. I buy all the maps with the annual subscriptions - Firmware exchange is a kick, but not for everyone. I don't use Home for the 720 because I can d/l the quickGPS directly.

Yes, 8.412 is the 740 running on a 720 - everything runs great, plus cool icons.

Mule

Last edited:
But the application meant for the 740 adds no functionality to a 720 or 730. Features unique to the 740 will be "greyed out". Therefor no benefit that I can see. A much better otion for the OP is to take Mike Alders suggestion roll-back to 8.010, restoring the lost FM function.

Go510man,

You can't downgrade your application to anything lower than 8.300 since it won't read your 825 map.

Upgrading your app beyond the officially supported 8.302 is risky, some people have no problems, but others get memory corruption due to a microSD bootloader on a SD device.

You could try the standard suite of troubleshooting steps, trying further steps only if a prior step doesn't resolve your problem:
1) do a pin reset
2) run a clear flash 3 times in a row
3) rename mapsettings.cfg on your map folder and have tomtom auto-generate a new one - you'll lose favorites, etc.
4) remove and reinstall the application
5) backup and do a full reformat - you don't need restore your backed up map since you purchased it with the past year so HOME can give it to you again.

That's what happens when I get sloppy. For some reason (too much of a hurry?) I missed the map version the OP was using, thinking it was an older one. You're correct as you usually are MVL.

Gator - The OP said he retroactively changed his signature - you probably responded when his signature reflected an earlier map.

Gator - The OP said he retroactively changed his signature - you probably responded when his signature reflected an earlier map.

Correct the original post stated a map version of v810 combined with Navcore 8,302 which is why I suggested Navcore 8,010 would be more suitable.

As you are running v825 maps perhaps the newer 8,350 Navcore might be more suitable as this adds a few new bells and whistles to the device, it was released earlier today - Mike

For random reboot issues, I simply wiped my device, and let TomTom Home reinstall everything fresh and all problems went away. Make a backup using Explorer first of course.

I used to use 8.204 on my 720 and LOVED it, simply because I had no problems (except tranmitting music over FM. The BEST thing about 8.204 was the fact that my map refresh rate was EXTREMELY fast, the same as the refresh rate in the simulator using TomTom Home on my PC.

Last edited:
I backed up my device with windows explorer, re-formatted my SD card, and re-installed everything. It worked just fine, no reboots until I re-installed the wireless data with Traffic stuff, within a few miles it rebooted and rebooted once again all within 25 miles distance. Has anyone heard of the Traffic service causing such issues? I could try another SD card I suppose. Any other ideas?

When I pair my phone for wireless data, it sometimes reboots on initial setup. For me it doesn't reboot during normal traffic use. Is your phone on the official compatibility list?

I doubt a different SD would help, although you may get slightly faster performance using the 720's internal memory instead of the SD.

I wonder if the current NAV is the real problem. Tonight, my 720 had problems keeping a GPS signal, keep fading in and out. Does anyone know where I can get NAV 8.302? I will re-install that and try once again. Thanks guys for your ideas.

I assume you are wanting to take the 720 back to Navcore 8,302

You can download this version by clicking

Go-x20_Navcore 8,302

Go-x30_Navcore 8,302

To install this to your device I use WinRar which you can download from Here Switch the TomTom on and connect it to your PC, if TomTom Home starts up exit the application as Home isn't needed for this.

Double click the downloaded file

Depending upon which one you downloaded and winrar will fire up, use the mouse to select all files and folders then click "Extract To"

Please note the screen images I have used for this post are from an earlier version of TomTom Navcore, but the process is the same if installing any Navcore to the device.

Locate the drive letter associated with your TomTom and click it, make sure the Overwrite mode is selected to "Ask before overwrite", then press "OK"

When the dialogue box pops up saying "Confirm File Replace" click the "Yes To All" button.

Sit back and watch the progress bar, with a good USB2 connection a Navcore 8,302 installation will take around 2 minutes.

When its finished the update use the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon from the Task Tray and remove the lead from the device.

Let the device boot up and tap the sat strength meter (lower left) followed by the version box, the resultant screen will confirm the version installed is Navcore 8,302 - Mike

Ask a Question