720 questions

App 7.221 (8572/071121) OS:2318 ( is this the Firmware version ??)
GPS v1.21,Boot 5.4106
Map: North_America_2GB v710.1584
Language: English

I have a few questions.

Tomplayer: has anyone produced a video movie help file so you can watch
the steps to install it on either the internal drive
or external SD card. I currently have it working
on an exteral 2GB card buy unzipping Tomplayer to a external SD card.
That's all I did, but would like not to
have to boot off the card just to run it then
have to re-boot without the SD external card
to use the naviagation. It would be nice to choose
an ICON from the display and run Tomplayer or Nav.

I have seen install instructions written so many times
yet it's still unclear to me how to do it.

External SD card: What's the largest card I can use?
I read 4GB to read and write and 8GB read only (with my firmware)
With latest firmware 8GB read and write.

External SD: Can I run TOMTOM on an external SD card?
I would like to have Tomplayer and TOMTOM
available at the same time.
There so cheap I can buy an 8GB for less than $20.
If I screw something up I can always go back to
my internal.

Firmware: 7.221: I got the 720 for xmas and right away installed
Home software. Tom Tom stated I had the latest
maps. Someone told me my maps are a year old
they have new ones. Why didn't I get informed
new maps where available? I understand newer maps
have been out.

I also understand if I upgrade my firmware I will loose
the FM transmitter. No way do I want that to
happen! Will I not be able to get new maps in
the future with 7.221 firmware??

720 mods: I have heard there is a 720-->9xx mod.
Can someone talk a bit about that and how
complicated the mod is. What new features?

The only other thing I have done is in Windows Explorer copy
the complete TOMTOM drive to my laptop.

Thanks
Ken

Your firmware and maps are both well over a year out of date. The latest firmware is indeed 8.3 which has issues like causing stuttering for computer voices for some and elimination of fm transmission for navigation.

Home's Latest Map guarantee is flakey at best but, for the firmware you have, it was, in fact, giving reliable information. The problem is that unless you have version 8x of firmware, Home will not offer any newer maps. You may have blown the opportunity for getting map 8.15 by not updating the firmware first.

You will have to call support at 866-486-6866 and plead your case for getting the latest map but you will need 8.3 as I said. Tomplayer will not work with that version.

A solution is this: restore the backup to the 4 gig card with the 7.22 firmware and old map and with tomplayer and any other 3rd party apps on the sdhc card. Boot the unit with the sdhc card.

To make use of the newest map, if you get it, dl and then install it on a different sdhc card with firmware 8.3 on internal. Then you can make use of the newest changes in the new map for navigation (and you can use a sdhc card > 4 gigs with f/w 8.3)

In summary:
1. To make use of navigation by fm, tomplayer and old map, have firmware on card as well when booting up.

2. To make use of newest map, f/w 8.3 on internal (or the new sdhc card) along with the new map on the card.

How to back up?

Is there any difference between doing a back up using the Home software
vs. using Windows Explorer and selecting everything on the TomTom
internal drive and copying that to my computer?

thanks
Ken

Using Explorer is more reliable for backups (and Restores). Plus, you get to name the folder of your choosing.

Great questions. Id like to hear about his last question.

And to add to the discussion regarding the latest map, I had this issue a few days ago and tried to go the online help section way with TomTom.com, and it ended up taking almost 5 days for her to tell me NO because of where it was purchased (it was a gift as well). I called support and within 4-5mins she had the map uploaded to my account. MY recommendation is to start a Ticket ONLINE, copy your receipt to a JPG file and send that along with the complaint about the LMG. Then once you submit it, you will get a ticket # for reference. CALL now with that reference # in hand and tell them your LMG is not working and you have started a ticket. They should be able to look up your ticket just my your email address.
Good luck, and someone talk about the last question.... :)

Is there any difference between doing a back up using the Home software
vs. using Windows Explorer and selecting everything on the TomTom
internal drive and copying that to my computer?

thanks
Ken
DHN is right in the post above. Another warning for you ...

If you DO chose to use TT Home for a backup, be advised that it overwrites the previous backup. After any TT Home backup, you will want to go out to the folder it uses (My Documents / TomTom / HOME / Backups / GO / Backup01) and rename that Backup01 folder! That way Home will never overwrite it so that you lose a stable backup. I usually use the date, renaming the folder to something like "Backup 2009-02-01" or something like that. Of course, using Explorer avoids this issue altogether.. except you have to remember to not overwrite your own backups! I like to keep the last 2.

Tomplayer: has anyone produced a video movie help file so you can watch
the steps to install it on either the internal drive
or external SD card. I currently have it working
on an exteral 2GB card buy unzipping Tomplayer to a external SD card.
That's all I did, but would like not to
have to boot off the card just to run it then
have to re-boot without the SD external card
to use the naviagation. It would be nice to choose
an ICON from the display and run Tomplayer or Nav.

If you are using NavCore 8.3, you cannot run Tomplayer within the OS like you used to be able to. At the present moment, the only way to use Tomplayer is if you install it onto a separate SD card and boot of of the SD card straight into Tomplayer like you mentioned. This is how I have it running now.

With older versions of NavCore (such as 8.010) you were able to install Tomplayer on the same card that NavCore resided on. You were able to just select "Tomplayer" from an Icon within NavCore. You had to create a custom TomTom menu to add the Tomplayer icon. Problem is that when you create a custom menu, you lose some instant shortcuts like the "Help me" feature and "Map correction"

And as far as SD cards, with the latest NavCore 8.3 installed, your device is able to use SDHC cards greater than 4 gigs. (oops just re-read your post and noticed that you are aware of that)

I am currently running ALL my TomTom software (Map, OS, voices, etc) on an external 4GB SDHC card. What I haven't tried yet is installing Tomplayer on the internal memory, and then try to see if my TomTom switches and boots into its normal software via the SD card once I put it in. This was certainly doable with my ONE XL (which I used to do) because the ONE XL can only use 1 memory source at a time. I don't know how the 720 will react to having Tomplayer on the internal memory and OS on the SD card. Remember though, that no matter what, you will only be able to boot into EITHER the OS or Tomplayer at one time, since latest software doesn't allow access to Tomplayer via the NavCore OS.

I'm gonna try this for you right now on my 720 (Install Tomplayer on internal memory then attempt to switch to the OS by inserting my SD card which contains all of my TomTom software.

And 720/730 to 920/930 mod is only really installing the Large POI database from a 920/930 to a 720/730.

Your map version and OS (as others have stated) are outdated. What you should at least do is update to NavCore 8.010 so you can accomplish everything you are trying to do.

I just tested it out and it worked great. What I did was, I installed Tomplayer onto the internal memory of my 720, along with the movie Forrest Gump. The TomTom booted into Tomplayer just fine and was able to play the movie. I then inserted my 4GB SD card which contains all of my TomTom stuff then booted up the TomTom. The TomTom went straight into the NavCore application on the SD card. So at least I know now that if the device has an OS loaded onto both internal and external memory, the external memory (SD card) takes over during the boot process.

This is some good news because at least you don't have to carry 2 SD cards with you now. If you want to watch a movie, all you have to do is remove the SD card, reboot, and you're in TomPlayer. The only drawback is that you only have 2GB of internal memory on a 720, but after converting your movie, you have plenty of space. I have recorded a youtube video just now showing the boot up process with and without the SD card. The video just finished uploading so it may not be fully processed yet on their site when you try to click on the link.. Here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyFmXPVr7X0&fmt=18

Remember, all of this has to be done only IF you are using NavCore 8.3. If you decide to use 8.010, I can help you install Tomplayer so you can use Tomplayer within the OS.

another question

I sent an email to TomTom and got a reference number.
I mentioned within the 30 days I went to the tomtom site to look
for map updates and was told no update available. I now know 8.15 is
the latest provided you have 8.3 firmware. Not knowing at the time
this and not wanting to mess with new firmware because all was working
I called it a day..

What I would like to do is copy my backed up software to a 4GB card.
Lets assume TomTom shows mercy on me and gives me a free map update.
Would I be able to have it done to the 4GB card and leave the internal
drive untouched? If I don't like the way 8.3 works at least I can go back
to my stock internal drive.

Would anyone know if this is do able?

My origin firmware had NO asr folder and no speech files in the North America
folder. What are the chances if I upgrade to 8.3 would that be included.
I would like to have the VR working.

One more question. Is it possible to erase everything on the stock internal
drive and copy over with Windows Explorer a backup to it. Is there a preferred way to do this. I have done this plenty of times with external SD cards but want to know what I am doing on the internal drive of my 720

thanks
Ken

If you have a sdhc card installed in your unit, Home asks what you want to use, internal or external (sd) card.

Select the sd card and THEN dl the map; it'll install to the sd card.

Yes, if you have a full Explorer backup (hidden files/folders showing), then you could delete everything from internal and restore using the backup.

Ask a Question