New 720 owner - questions on formatting memory

I received my "new" refurb a couple of days ago from Amazon. After reading all the tips and info on the forum, I immediately backed up everything on the unit by dragging all the files and folders to my computer. I then ran an update via Home, which updated the software to 8.3. The unit seems to operate fine, other than the touchscreen, doesn't seem to operate very smoothly. For example, when moving from screen to screen with the arrow in the menu, sometimes it will not react right away, then suddenly jump two pages. Sometimes I have to push harder than other times to get any reaction. To make sure it's not a software issue, I thought I would clear everything off, reformat the internal memory and then reload it. I just want to confirm something: if I copy all the files and folders to my computer, can I reformat the internal memory and then just drag all the files and folders back to the 720 -- and it will be ready to run with no other intervention?

The anser is 'yes' BUT, I too notice a lack of sensitivity of the touch screen with firmware 8.3 and I don't think reformatting will help, but who knows?

With your backup, did you make sure hidden files/folders were showing before copying everything to the computer?

Thanks for the quick responses. Concerning the backup, I'm on a Mac, so I just copied all the files that were on the internal memory. I also connected to the unit using Windows XP through a VM and make a back up there, too.

I followed the instructions for updating to 8.320 and it was all pretty simple. Unfortunately, the screen skipping and general inaccuracy of the touch screen remains. It gets pretty frustrating when you have to circle back around to the menu page you want because it decided to jump ahead two pages. The area where the forward arrow is on the menu also is not very accurate. If I move too quickly, I always end up on the Help Me page, instead of the second page of the menu. Also, I have to very precisely hit the "Done" button on some screens or it will check and uncheck boxes, THEN exit.

Other than this annoying screen issue, the unit is great, especially for the price. It was easy to connect to my Blackberry and get traffic and weather updates. The bluetooth speakerphone works pretty well and it automatically downloaded my address book. In fact, I have it sitting on my desk and a couple of times I found myself taking phone calls over the Tomtom because I forgot to shut the bluetooth off. The callers said I sounded pretty good! When you navigate to a POI, I also like how it shows the phone number so you can call if needed.

I may just have to return it and try again, but I guess that's the risk of going for the refurbished ones.

My Blackberry is the 8320 from T-Mobile. I followed the instructions below to get it connected. These are instructions that I copied from another post somewhere on this forum:

After pairing the 720 with my Blackberry I then went thru the set up of the services on the TomTom.

1) When you are prompted to select your phone press "other".
2) Choose United States
3) Choose T-Mobile US (I)
4) When you see the Unable to set up your wireless..." message choose "Manual"
5) Enter "wap.voicestream.com" as your Access Point Name and then press OK.
6) Leave Username and Password empty.
7) Select Automatic for IP address and DNS.
8) Leave the default for Dial
*99***1#
and then press OK.
9) Leave the default Login script
at+cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com"
and then press OK.

After a few minutes you will get a message about user experience. Choose I agree or Skip.

It should then say connecting to server and then you should see a congratulations message.

You are now able to connect to TomTom services such as Weather and Traffic.

I was able to connect to both and get the data without any problems.

Ask a Question