Garmin convert with questions/comments about GO 720

I just bought my first TomTom GO 720 after years of using Garmin devices. So far, I like the TomTom but the UI does take getting used to. Some observations below, perhaps someone can comment:

- I updated the firmware to 8.x (can't remember the exact version) but I don't see any signs of IQ routing or lane guidance. How do I know these are working?

- I find the TomTom has far fewer local business listings (shops, etc.) compared to the Garmin. Anyone else find the same thing?

- No automatic power on for the TomTom. Even the most basic Garmins have this feature. Any hack of fix for this?

I really like the Bluetooth cellphone hookup and having some intelligence to the address entry really helps. The Garmin, you have to type in everything from scratch - city name, etc., everytime. On the base units (nuvi 270) anyways.

Bad news.......

ALG and Reality view are NOT present for most Canadian roads in the latest (835) map. There is a thread somewhere showing four instances in the Maritimes, that is all. Certainly it is NOT evident in the GTA.

TomTom knows about it but doesn't seem to care. Perhaps in map 840 due in November there will be more. Perhaps.

TT's used to have an 'auto on' capability but that was removed from all units over 2 years ago and no hack is known to return that.

Yes, you'll find Garmin's poi set more robust in many areas than the TT set. It is possible to get the larger poi set meant for the 930 and overwrite the poi set that is included in the 730 mapping.

I just bought my first TomTom GO 720 after years of using Garmin devices. So far, I like the TomTom but the UI does take getting used to. Some observations below, perhaps someone can comment:

- I updated the firmware to 8.x (can't remember the exact version) but I don't see any signs of IQ routing or lane guidance. How do I know these are working?

- I find the TomTom has far fewer local business listings (shops, etc.) compared to the Garmin. Anyone else find the same thing?

- No automatic power on for the TomTom. Even the most basic Garmins have this feature. Any hack of fix for this?

I really like the Bluetooth cellphone hookup and having some intelligence to the address entry really helps. The Garmin, you have to type in everything from scratch - city name, etc., everytime. On the base units (nuvi 270) anyways.

First of f Welcome to TTF !

If you wan't to find the exact App & Map # just tap the your screen then tap the sat bars this will give your app verson and if you tap on the verson you will then see the total unit info including your map, app, and device #.

Fot IQ routing tap your screen click on change preference click on blue arrow to 4th screen over then click on Planning Preferences and then click on IQ routing and you can choose to leave it inabled or if you are planning a specific route say with google maps you might wan't to disable the IQ routing.

As for lane guidance the defauklt is on if yoy wan't to turn it off , click on change preference go to second screen over and click on hide lane images.
(ALG at this time isn't working in Canada )

As for POI's like local business listings etc etc you can download lots of them from TT Home or go to a site like POIfriend.com: Free GPS POI (Point of Interest) Downloads, Maps & Community - Garmin TomTom or some of the other free sites and download them from there . Or if you have the Garmin poi's you can convert them to TT files.

I will let someone elsa answer the auto on issue.

Hope this helps you with some of the issues.

I am in the GTA. Good guess. Too bad about the lack of lane guidance.

I think the TomTom UI is superior to the Garmin but lack of POIs is troubling. I'm often in a strange part of town, looking for a Home Depot or some other shop. The user shared POIs I find are often incomplete and error prone.

I bought the 720 at a great price at Wal-Mart but I'm now second guessing myself.

I am in the GTA. Good guess. Too bad about the lack of lane guidance.

I think the TomTom UI is superior to the Garmin but lack of POIs is troubling. I'm often in a strange part of town, looking for a Home Depot or some other shop. The user shared POIs I find are often incomplete and error prone.

I bought the 720 at a great price at Wal-Mart but I'm now second guessing myself.

Do you still have your POI files from your Garmin ? as I said before they can be converted.

Here is a site to convert and find lots of Canadian POI's
http://www.gps-data-team.com/poi/canada/shopping/

Or if you are interested I can upload my Poi Files from my 920 and then you can download them to your 720 . as dhn mentioned the 920.930 poi files are somewhat larger than the ones on the 720.
The issue can be that you might have to put your map on an sd care inorder to give you enough room to load the 920 / 930 poi's

Last edited:
The 720 poi file is pretty poor. The 930 file from here is very extensive and can be copied over, but you may need to remove foreign computer voices (in HOME's "Manage my GO") to get room for the POI to fit.

IQroutes needs map version 800 to work, and the 720 is shipped with a 7xx series map. If you're within 30 days of purchase, call Tomtom and ask about the free map update. They should give you map 835.

Ask a Question