Map Upgrade Questions for TomTom 720

Device: TomTom 720
Purchased: 1.5 years ago
Map Version: 5 quarters old...
Map: US& Canada (2GB) 7.10

Introduction:
I want to have a new map, but since the 2GB map is now maxed out, I've been looking at the NE Region map (I live in NY). I have read in other posts that the 2GB map isn't as detailed or as complete as the newer and larger North America map for newer TomToms. So instead of upgrading my North America map for $50 and then paying another $50 for a year of updates to a map that isn't going to get any larger, I'm looking at buying the NE Region map.

I don't plan on traveling out of the NE region as my car simply isn't reliable enough to do so, even if I wanted to. So for $60 I think I'll just buy the NE region map and then another $50 for a year of update service.

Question: So if I wait until after the May map comes out before buying the NE Region map and a subscription, I will get more out of the subscription, right?

Question: If I put a 4GB SD card into my TomTom 720, could I buy the complete North America map that is on newer 4GB TomToms and install it? I know HOME doesn't give me the option to buy the bigger North America map, but it appears TomTom's website does.

Question: Is there any reason they would cripple the NE region map to a smaller size? ie: Do you think it will be "limited" just like the 2GB USA&Canada map became?

Thx for your input.

The reduced size NA_2GB map for the 720 has fewer poi's than the larger map meant for a 9x model and maybe less detail regarding non driving specific details like rivers, 3d building depiction, etc. but it has no fewer roads.

A regional map is just a chunk of the larger NA map, no more detail.

I'd get a 4-gig sdhc card, regardless of whether you update to the 'normal' new NA_2GB map scheduled for release any day now or indeed can manage to get the larger map. The price of the sdhc card is relatively inexpensive and will make your life much easier by putting the map on the card.

I think only the North America map (on GO models) and the USA&Canada map (on ONE/XL models) is available for the map update service.

I haven't bought a smaller map ever, so I'm not 100% sure.

Also, I don't think you can buy the North America map. When others have attempted, HOME says "you can't install this on your device". If it works for you, let us know. I would love to install that one instead of the NA_2GB and the manual POI hack.

Last edited:
Yea, it's as I expected...

Although upgrading my NA_2GB map and then manually adding in the extra POIs is an interesting idea, I don't look forward to the 1.8 gig download every 3 months.. You know? :D Not to mention that it seems TomTom's servers run as slow as molasses and/or error out sometimes.. I just don't have the patience...

On TomTom's website, it says the update service works with any map... So I think I'll just bite the bullet and buy the NE Regional map and the update service to go along with it after the May map update comes out.

I'm not going to risk spending a $100 on the the bigger North America map and then maybe not have it work at all.. I know for a fact that the update service will not allow me to get a discoutned upgrade from the 2GB NA map to the full NA map.

No NE subscription

I have both the USA/CANADA and Northeast Regional map. When subscriptions were offered I could not get it for the NE map. I got the discounted update to the USA/CANADA map and the subscription for updates to it.

Wow, really? Hmm.. Maybe I will wait then...
I don't see any reason why they wouldn't give subscriptions for the regional maps...
It makes no sense at all.. The maps are cheaper, so why not offer the same priced subscription?

You will have no issues upgrading to a NA 2GB map. Yes, the only thing is that you'll have to keep downloading 1.5 GB maps every 3 months, but they will ALWAYS fit. TomTom designs these maps to fit perfectly on the 2GB internal memory. You are not missing out on anything by getting a 2GB map vs a normal NA map except for the POI database, but you can still download the NA database and use it on your 2GB map anyways, so you have NOTHING to worry about.

Not only that, but TomTom's latest maps are SMALLER in size (MB) than your current map since they use a much higher compression method.

If it were me, I would purchase a 4GB card, load the new 2GB map on there, and also load the Normal NA map POI database on there which can be downloaded from here. A few members have uploaded the NA large POI database.

In the end, you will have a FULL map of North America, AND have the complete POI database, AND have PLENTY of space left over. This is exactly what I have done, and couldn't be happier.

I personally have moved ALL of my files over to my 4GB SD card and left the internal memory empty, to avoid any problems with TomTom Home. You can always load MP3's to the internal memory if you wish. The reason I moved everything onto the 4GB SD card is so TomTom Home doesn't get confused and try to iupdate both devices. When you have everything on your SD card, anytime you open TomTom Home, you will simply select "Memory card" and that's it.

Putting the maps on the SD card is the best approach as you might find a new map won't fit if you have added music/ pictures/ voices etc to the device, don't forget the x20 and x30 range of devices also offer support for the higher capacity SDHC type memory cards which include capacity upto 32GB - handy if you want a few maps and lots of music, I use 16GB cards in my 720 and 930 with no issues at all and they don't cost much to purchase - Mike

I think only the North America map (on GO models) and the USA&Canada map (on ONE/XL models) is available for the map update service.

Updating this post: Tomtom now confirms that map update service is not available for regional maps.

Go here and click "What is the availability of the Map Update Service? ".

Map update service questions

I am confused by TomTom's map update service. The updating map prices on my screen are always quoted in euros. The email I received from Tomtom quoted $9.99 USD per quarter. Also, since it is 9.99 (euros) per quarter, Tomtom says it will cost 69 euros (sometimes 79 euros) for a year's subscription. Since there are 4 quarters to a year, I am curious how they arrived at this price. If you can clear up this confusion I would be most appreciative.I would like to pay in USD for any updates.

You also have to pay to update your existing map to the latest (835); the older your existing map, the more you pay. THEN it is $12 US/quarter for 4 quarters. But Canadians MUST pay in Euros and get screwed by also having to pay a 20% VAT on top.

The actual exchange from USD to Euros is about the same and isn't the problem.

If you complain to TT at 866-486-6866 about the fact that Canadians can't buy in USD, maybe they'll ultimately do something about it.

re: map updates

> The actual exchange from USD to Euros is about the same and isn't the problem.

I beg to disagree but there is a significant difference in cost. The Cdn $ is around .90 to the USD whereas it takes about 1.60 Cdn to buy one euro. A friend recently updated his maps for 69 euros or about $110 Cdn. If he had purchased the same in USD it would have cost around $75 Cdn so the difference is considerable.

While he paid 69 Euros..the actual map was 58 Euros.....the rest was the 20% VAT.

How do I know this? Because I got nailed with the same problem when I bought a NZ map last week.

Ask a Question