720 questions

Im very new to TomTom, and confused by a few things with my 720. I only had my TomTom 7days before I had to send it back to them for repair, they just sent me a new one. I currently have the default version 7.221. Anyways...
1) Why do I have voice recognition? I thought it was suppose to be greyed out, and I had to do some things manually to activate it.

2) What is Navcore? I see people on this forum talking about it.

3) Is there any benefit in updating my TomTom to a newer version? My old one, I updated to the most recent, and the voice recognition was greyed out. I also didnt have the compass icon, which I have now.

Thanks

Im very new to TomTom, and confused by a few things with my 720. I only had my TomTom 7days before I had to send it back to them for repair, they just sent me a new one. I currently have the default version 7.221. Anyways...
1) Why do I have voice recognition? I thought it was suppose to be greyed out, and I had to do some things manually to activate it.

2) What is Navcore? I see people on this forum talking about it.

3) Is there any benefit in updating my TomTom to a newer version? My old one, I updated to the most recent, and the voice recognition was greyed out. I also didnt have the compass icon, which I have now.

Thanks

The new one you've been sent has Navcore 7.221 (that is the application or firmware version). It is over a year old BUT does have the compass functionality. It seems they also sent you a very old map (to see the firmware version, tap the satellite bars. The next screen shows the firmware and yours will say 7.221. NOW, tap the version number and the next screen shows the map and version number installed).

Newer 720 units that came with that firmware did have VR working 'out of the box'. It sounds as if you sent back a 720 with Navcore 8x installed which wiped out the version 7 compass functionality.

Seems to me you should be entitled to the latest map (8.25) but you have to update the firmware (Navcore) to 8.302 for the unit to 'offer' you the latest map.

Think you should call support at 866-486-6866 to get this all straightened out,

thanks for your quick response dhn. I have NorthAmerica map v710.1584, so Navcore is just the same as firmware?
Now why would I need to call them? Wont I just automatically be updated to the latest firmware and maps, like I did with my previous 720.

Also if I do update the to the latest Navcore, Ill lose voice recognition...Will the sticky at the top of this forum help me get it back on? I read it and it said I would need to have the firmware and map versions I have now.
So I guess I'm a little confused. :)

The **theory** is that the LMG will work.............but it rarely does in practice.

As I said, you first need to bump the application (or formware, same thing) to version 8.302. Then, try for the LMG. If it offers you 8.25, great. But, if not, give support a call at the number in my previous post. Explain how you got a replacement 720, etc.

Yes, VR will work with v8 maps and Navcore 8. Let's cross that bridge when we get to it.

Before ANYTHING, make a complete Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents now. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

Then when you DO get the firmware updare and map updated, make another Explorer backup.

ok they are offering me 8.3 application. I dont see any maps that are available for download...I click "update my go" and all I see are the application, quickGPSfix, phone connection settings, and some voices to download.

So I should call them and ask why they arent giving me the most current maps?

Should I update my device to the 8.3 application anyway?

What is LMG?

Thanks everyone for your patience with me.

Dhn is really right you need the 8.302 application first . Delete your older application from tom om home disconttect from computer and then reconnect from computer the latest application should come up for downl load .Then delete your old NOrth american map disconnect from computer and then reconnect. Your new 825 should come up BUT to be safe from the tom tom web site email tom tom your receit of your purchase and any cirtificate for the latest map guarantee. After you email this purchase receit then call tom tom and request that they add the 8,25 to your account and add to your tom tom home for download of this latest north american map. good luck

Well I updated to 8.3 firmware, and still have my voice recognition :) Unfortunately I took the advice and deleted my North American maps, and the only map that is available to download is the North American map that costs $90. Luckily I did do a backup, so Im gonna restore now.

EDIT: ok well after speaking with tomtom, I was able to get NA map 8.15, in fact they said I wasnt suppose to have that map in my account bc my unit is refurbished, and the free map guratee thing doent apply to refurbiushed units. I cant believe tomtom charges for new maps! It would cost me $90 to get the newest map. I shouldve researched better.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Last edited:

Ask a Question