540TM memory

I been looking but really can't find a answer. The 540TM comes with free maps for life, will I ever run out of memory? I would think the new map would ride over the old map.
Thanks
Joe

I been looking but really can't find a answer. The 540TM comes with free maps for life, will I ever run out of memory? I would think the new map would ride over the old map.
Thanks
Joe
Each new map does "overwrite" the old map. And you don't get "updates" in the sense that you get added information - the entire map is replaced each time.

Now whether or not you "run out of memory" is actually another question, but not handled as you might think. In Europe, many TT units are now unable to keep all of Western Europe in memory at the same time. You wind up paging various countries on and off the unit from your PC as needed. There's always some chance that as map data grows, the U.S. will also be split - east/west perhaps? Hard to know. For the moment, they've freed up a lot of space by removing the phone number and similar info from the POI data, so we've got a little breathing room here.

Ask a Question