XXL540TM Memory

I got an XXL540TM and was reading about updates. I'm glad that it has lifetime traffic and maps but also read that because it only has 2GB, updates are very difficult.

As it stands currently, the unit is already packed with about 1.8GB but it says 71mb left. Although I'm confused as to why TomTom put a USB 1.1 on this unit making it slow. The map updartes took about 1 hour and 15 minutes.

As an engineer and former Garmin owner I share your pain.
Just got a 540TM for Christmas. Hope TomTom gets off their butt and starts using USB3.0 and offers SD expandable units in the near future.

The slower your internet connection I would guess the more problematic the map updates are. The 2 GB memory situation is only a problem if you load up your device with other things whereas the map no longer fits anymore. Then, you windup having to do cleanup on the device so the map fits.

When you do the update don?t do it over a wireless connection. Hardwire into your network to do it. My map download took 1h3min over a 6Mbps DSL plus the time to update the file from my computer to the device. I fell asleep waiting so I have no timing of the part moving through the USB connection.

USB3.0 would definitely help but that is only half the battle.

Ask a Question