XXL 550 wont open on my PC with USB

I am new and just got my XXL 550 going this weekend. I got a card with for lifetime maps so I went to my PC and downloaded HOME, I connected the device to the PC,turned it on and nothing came up. I tried all the USB ports on the front and on back. I also tried it on my other PC in the house. Nothing. I am not new to PC's and I am not an idiot.:eek: Anyone have any suggestions for me or had this problem? :confused:I am running XP Pro and the PC is is fast and new.

Welcome to TTF.

Often, resetting the unit will help in situations like this. For your model, hold the power button about 10 seconds till you hear the drum roll sound, then connect to the pc and see if that helps............

I'd try dhn's reset suggestion first. Then...

Unlike some Garmin units, you need to turn your unit on for it to be recognized. I'm guessing you did that, but I do know that some previous Garmin owners are surprised that the USB connection doesn't power the unit and connect it in mass-storage mode without even turning the unit on.

When you connect your 550 by cable, then power it up, does it ask whether you should connect to the computer or not?

Since it appears to fail on multiple PCs, any chance at all that you have a cable issue?

Welcome to TTF.

Often, resetting the unit will help in situations like this. For your model, hold the power button about 10 seconds till you hear the drum roll sound, then connect to the pc and see if that helps............

Tried that....nothing.

When you connect your 550 by cable, then power it up, does it ask whether you should connect to the computer or not?
No it does not do anything except show me a route.

Since it appears to fail on multiple PCs, any chance at all that you have a cable issue?
Maybe, I dont think I evan have another USB cable like that to even try.

Dumb thing to ask, but I willl...........:p

Are you SURE the usb plug is indeed properly connected to the unit?

Tried that....nothing....

Maybe, I dont think I evan have another USB cable like that to even try.
You're pretty well down to a bad cable or a bad unit. The USB-A to USB-miniB cable is pretty easy to find (even at places like Radio Shack) since they're used on a large number of devices and, unlike many, is actually a standard USB connector, not a proprietary one.

Lol. Absolutely. I even unplugged it from the unit and then plugged it again while the USB was connected to the PC. Nothing happens. Very frustrating......:confused:

Given that neither end (computer or TomTom) is recognizing that it's been USB connected leaves two options - cable or unit. If you're willing to take a couple of buck risk on a new USB cable, theyr'e out there in most electronics stores. However, you also have the option of returning the unit for another - although I'm not sure the XXL550 would be my first choice. In fact, you may find that you prefer the added functionality of the XXL540. Something to consider since the fact that there's something wrong gives you the option to swap.

I'll try the cable first. The unit was a Christmas gift from a family member. I;ll have to see how I want to handle that. Thanks for your help.

On the 550 there is a pinhold with a "reset" printed next to it on the bottom.

Put a pin in there and the 550 should reset. After that see if it connects to USB.

Ask a Question