XXL550 Wont boot into recovery

TomTom Model(s)
XXL 540
I tried booting it into recovery mode but it will not go. Tried numerous 1-2-3 click on the power button but no go. All this after an update failed and I can not boot the device now. Any Suggestions. Can not even get my computer to see the device.

The technique you are using is not appropriate to an XXL550 (a Nav2 device). That trick is reserved for Nav3 (later) units. There is no 'recovery mode' for an XL550. A regular boot is accomplished by holding down the power button for 20 seconds. Try that and then connect to your computer again if possible.

What trouble is your unit exhibiting at the moment? I note that you say it will not connect to your PC (I assume you are using Home, also appropriate for a Nav2 device). But apart from that, what started all of this activity? We need to back up to the original symptoms to see if we can sort this out.

Tried to do an update that failed and then it started acting up. I was able to get it into recovery mode only once by doing the hold power button and then 1-2-3. Then I connected to TT home. Then I tried a complete back up and reformat like the TT site said and it failed. Now I can not get it to do anything but loop on boot up.

I was able to get it into recovery mode only once by doing the hold power button and then 1-2-3. Then I connected to TT home.

As canderson says, whatever you managed to do, it WASN'T the "recovery mode". That's only available on NAV3 models which use the 'MyTomTom'' PC utility.

However, if you don't have a working Navcore on a NAV2 device (one that uses Home) then Home SHOULD be clever enough to recognise that and offer the latest software. There are several ways that can fail though, especially if the device has ever had a version of software installed that was not intended for it.

Have you checked out these two (apparently invisible) FAQs?
Old-style TomTom Acting Up? - Part 1 - First Steps In System Recovery
Old-style TomTom Acting Up? - Part 2 - How To reinstall *fresh* Software using Home

And if the computer is not recognising the unit at all, have a look here:
Why is my device not properly recognised? (TomTom HOME)

Ask a Question