XXL 540TM newbie

TomTom Model(s)
XXL 540TM
HI Everyone, I just bought my 540 and am very excited to begin using it. I would like to know where on this site to find the info I need to do things like change icons from arrows to cars or how to change routes I think are better than what the TT is giving me etc, etc.

Also, I have the option for the next two weeks to purchase the stores warranty which covers my TT for the next two years for $39.99 Should I ? Usually I don't because things usually don't go bad befoe the warranty runs out. Thanks for any advance info you can give. Tom

Welcome to TTF. Don't look too hard for a manual for a 540 because TT hasn't produced one! :eek:

Here's a link to the European XXL IQ routes manual which pretty much is the European equivalent to the 540.

You can only see a specific car icon in 3D, not 2D view. One of your preferences on a 540 is to Change Car Symbol (page 3 of preferences)

You cal also download other car icons using Home.

And we have a forum here for specific requests for cars as well as very helpful members prepared to offer them for you.

As to the warranty? No right answer, Hardware wise, many tomtom units may need a battery replacement within a couple of years. The TT batteries are NOT meant to be user replaceable though we have links here and manuals on how to do it for many models. If this warranty does cover battery replacement, then maybe.....

Last edited:
HI Everyone, I just bought my 540 and am very excited to begin using it. I would like to know where on this site to find the info I need to do things like change icons from arrows to cars or how to change routes I think are better than what the TT is giving me etc, etc.

Also, I have the option for the next two weeks to purchase the stores warranty which covers my TT for the next two years for $39.99 Should I ? Usually I don't because things usually don't go bad befoe the warranty runs out. Thanks for any advance info you can give. Tom

I felt the need to rewrite parts of the manual as a "learning" exercise. You may find a "not too bad" manual here:See View folder . Some of the images are oriented toward Australia, but the content is probably ok!

Ask a Question