XXL 540 Zip Codes.....

When entering a new destination (city, street and house number) how do you get the zip code to show up for that location ?

Unless the information is imbedded in the map data, that info wouldn't show up.

What happens when you navigate to postal code?

Some of the cities I service have multiple zip codes and it's a big help to know the correct one for billing purposes and promptly write it down on the invoice.

I just tried to enter the address below:

445 East Center Street, Whitewater, WI

It will not take "Center", I have to also enter "East" :(

Also, when I listed my home address it has me 3 blocks down the road on the wrong side of an intersecting street :(

Not off to a very good start :(

I'll be listing this on eBay and getting a Nuvi 1450 soon.

ThanX for the reply :)

Gary

I don't think a Nuvi will do what you want either.

I just tried to enter the address below:

445 East Center Street, Whitewater, WI

It will not take "Center", I have to also enter "East" :(
The disambiguation is necessary to avoid putting you one the wrong side of town. In some towns, only one side or the other includes a N/S or E/W, and in some towns, both ends include it. As an example, in my town, we have Main St. and S. Main St. The "N" is implied. But for east and west, you have to include them. It's the way the town names the streets. The GPS is actually correct in this behavior.

Also, when I listed my home address it has me 3 blocks down the road on the wrong side of an intersecting street :(
Most addresses are approximated within a range of addresses within a given run of a street. This is often managed on a block by block basis, but can use longer stretches which is probably what happened in your case. I've found the exact same problems with any map, including Google. Was trying to direct a friend to a location south of JAX, and it was placing the building about six blocks away. Unfortunate, but the current state of geolocation is what it is, and it's imperfect.

The disambiguation is necessary to avoid putting you one the wrong side of town. In some towns, only one side or the other includes a N/S or E/W, and in some towns, both ends include it. As an example, in my town, we have Main St. and S. Main St. The "N" is implied. But for east and west, you have to include them. It's the way the town names the streets. The GPS is actually correct in this behavior.

Most addresses are approximated within a range of addresses within a given run of a street. This is often managed on a block by block basis, but can use longer stretches which is probably what happened in your case. I've found the exact same problems with any map, including Google. Was trying to direct a friend to a location south of JAX, and it was placing the building about six blocks away. Unfortunate, but the current state of geolocation is what it is, and it's imperfect.

When entering "Center" in my Nuvi it will take me to a selection screen with all possible matches such as East Center & West Center streets. I like this much better as sometimes the customer forgets to say east, west, north or south.

The Nuvi has my house location right on the money.

ThanX for your replies but the TomTom is just not for me.

When entering "Center" in my Nuvi it will take me to a selection screen with all possible matches such as East Center & West Center streets. I like this much better as sometimes the customer forgets to say east, west, north or south.
Ugh. That must be unneeded entertainment value. You wouldn't know which one to select even with the selection. It's surprising that some folks don't realize the the NESW can often be a part of their address and make assumptions that drive us nuts.

The Nuvi has my house location right on the money.
In some areas, the NavTeq maps are better. In some areas the Teleatlas maps are better. If the NavTeq seems more accurate in your area, Garmin is probably your better choice. My house is right on the money with Teleatlas, and slips about 5 houses down with NavTeq. Go figure.

So you can enter a city, a street, and a house number, and it will tell you the zip code? I'm impressed!

Yes :)

It may not matter to most people but it's a huge plus to me.

zipcode.jpg

Ask a Question