Time to Retire my 540XXL

Discussion in 'Which TomTom Should I Buy?' started by Fame, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Fame

Fame

TomTom Model(s):
    XXL540TM
    Good Morning Group:

I'm interested in replacing my 540XXL which has served brilliantly for a number of years. What I must have in its replacement is the ability to plan a multi-stop itinerary/route. Something I have been doing with the assistance on TYRE.

So in short, what device offers those two prerequisites:

• Itinerary planning
    • Compatibility with TYRE
    Thanks in advance for thoughts...

Tom G, Sr.

Fame, Feb 17, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. Fame

canderson Moderator

TomTom Model(s):
    GO720 GO 740 GO1535 GO1605 VIA1535 GO 600
    Newer units (Nav4, as we call them) can handle routes created as *.itn files. The mechanism for moving an *.itn to these new devices is quite different, but the *.itn file structure is the same as it has always been.
    You can also create a multi-point itinerary on the unit if need be, though that process is a bit different, too.

So what other features tickle your fancy? That will help us narrow things down a bit more.

canderson, Feb 18, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. Fame

Fame

TomTom Model(s):
    XXL540TM
    What is the least expensive unit that offers my prerequisites?.

Could you elaborate on the moving of the*.itn files... how does it differ?.

TIA for the input.

Tom G, Sr.

Fame, Mar 20, 2018
  4. Fame

canderson Moderator

TomTom Model(s):
    GO720 GO 740 GO1535 GO1605 VIA1535 GO 600
    Unlike the 'old days', there is no direct interface to the file system of these newer units. TomTom uses a web system called "My Drive Web" to transfer information to them, including routes and personal POI files.

At present, the consumer TomTom devices only support *.gpx 'track' style files, but it is easy to convert an *.itn into a *.gpx, or create them natively with a whole host of different tools. Those routes can be transferred to your device using the My Drive Web interface.

You can also plan a full route using the My Drive Web interface, and send that route directly to your device.

There's also a phone app available that allows sending destination info to a current generation device, and that same app also provides the Live traffic data for it.

canderson, Mar 21, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question