540XXL frozen

TomTom Model(s)
540XXL, 930
540XXL freezes on start-up screen. Had several lengthy sessions with TT support including a major reset in March 2012 (on WIFI) to no avail. They refused any further help as we were fourteen months after purchase. Now running a Mac with Lion and am not a computer expert.
It will up-date with TT Home but no change.
Any suggestions before I examine it with a hammer?:mad:
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried holding the power button about 15 seconds till you hear the drum sound?

If that doesn't help, connect to the computer and make a Finder, not Home, backup. Then format the drive represented by the 540 on the computer and restore the backup.

Added note: Be sure you do a FAT32 format.

Haven't had my mitts on any of the last two releases, so don't know whether they offer any other version of FAT or NTFS or whatever, so I always stick in the warning just in case it registers with something on the screen when the user is doing the format.

Have you tried holding the power button about 15 seconds till you hear the drum sound?

If that doesn't help, connect to the computer and make a Finder, not Home, backup. Then format the drive represented by the 540 on the computer and restore the backup.
Thanks, tried both but no luck. When I restored the program a message said to wait until TT restarted the unit... hour later never happened so restarted manually and still froze the usual start up routine.

Well, try this ........ since you have the Finder backup......

Format the unit. Then restore the backup. (I don't know whether a Mac offers a quickformat. If so, do NOT select that option).

The clear flash tool does not work on a Mac, correct.

I would only restore the map(s) from your backup. Have you done a complete install of a new Navcore through home and then just copied your map folder?

If nothing charges the situation, if the touch screen is still good and responsive and you have your box and accessories - mount and power cords - sell it on eBay for parts. It will bring between $25-$35. Use that money and buy a working 540 or 550 (preferably a 540s). Ask the seller guarantee the maps are good and not patched. You can buy a good used 540 for between $55-$65 from a reputable seller with good feedback. I also am one of the minority who have not had problems with the TomTom Via series once the Leap Year bug was fixed They are a little slower to lock on, but they work fine for me.

Ask a Question