XL keeps freezing!

I purchased a TomTom XL (UK version) two months ago. I will be travelling to South Africa next week, so purchased and installed a South Africa map on the unit yesterday. I then switched to the South Africa map, and input a number of local destinations, so that I could easily refer to these from 'Recent Destinations' once in SA.

All of a sudden the unit has started freezing whenever I try to use certain functions. Once I go into 'Plan Route', anything I subsequently select will lead to the unit freezing (e.g. Address, Recent Destination, POI, etc). The unit restarts itself about 20 seconds after freezing.

However, I can use some functions (e.g. browsing the map, changing certain Options/Settings) without causing the unit to freeze. The unit does freeze if I try to switch back to the UK map however.

I have reset the unit a few times. I had not backed up the unit prior to this, but did a backup and restore via TomTom Home after the problems started. Please can you advise me on what to do.

Try this .......

Connect to Home. Run the emulator (Operate my unit). Plan a trip. When the route is completed, disconnect properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon.

See if that helps.

When operating the device through Home, the same functions which cause the unit to freeze cause the Home application to crash.

Try this......

1. Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents.
  2. Format the drive represented by the TomTom unit. Don't use quickformat. Restore the backup.

Ok, I have done the first step. I just wanted to clarify the second step, as I have not done this before. I am using a Mac. I believe I can format a drive using the 'Disk Utility' application. There is a function within that application that to erase a disk. You also have to specify a format - when selecting the Tom Tom drive, it has highlighted a format named 'MS-DOS (FAT)' by default. Would this be the correct way of doing it?

Ok, I have formatted the drive, and copied back the files onto it, but I still have the same problem.

Use Explorer and delete the mapsettings.cfg file from the specific map folder on your unit. You'll lose all favourites, etc. but it may fix the issue.

I deleted the mapsettings.cfg files from both the UK and South Africa maps. This didn't solve the problem, and in fact it now freezes when I click on 'Plan Route' (before it allowed me to go one step further before freezing).

Well, a 2-month old unit is still under warranty. I'd call TT to get a RMA to return it for fixing.

Thanks for your help. Do you actually work for Tom Tom? Given that this is unlikely to be sorted out in the next 5 days (at which point I will be travelling to South Africa), I was wondering if I could be refunded for the South Africa map that I have purchased? Alternatively, would I be able to transfer the map to a different Tom Tom device? I am in possession of an older model as well (ONE 30 series).

None of us here work for TomTom. We are just users such as yourself. And, unfortunately, maps are locked to a device first installed upon.

Let me try to direct this thread to somebody I know at TT. Maybe, just maybe, things can be expedited.

Ask a Question