910 Keeps restarting/freezing

Hi All:

Thanks in advance for you help with this question. This site has been an excellent resource for me in my quest to own and operate my TomTom 910.

I have had my 910 for about 2-3 months now. For the most part I enjoy the design of the unit very much. However, I have periodic reliability problems that have made owning the unit very trying.

The unit will crash and/or restart itself a random times. For instance, it seems that whenever I try to play music and use the GPS it will always freeze up. When I am not playing music (just using the GPS), it will randomly restart itself.

It's strange b/c I can go for an entire week and it never lets me down. Then, suddenly, it starts crashing/restarting. There doesn't seem to be any pattern. The only sure thing is if I try to play music. After no more than the 10th song it will cause the unit to lock up.

Any ideas? I am running version 6.522, with the most recent North American maps.

Thanks again,

Don

First thought... the 910s are susceptible to virus attacks.... can you connect to your PC and scan the drive?

I can't help much, as I'm a ONE owner.... but.... I do believe I saw this very same issue with another 910 user 2 or 3 months back. I can't recall if he had a virus or if his hard drive was crapping out on him. I think he ended up return the unit for a new one though.

I'll see if i can find that thread.

Pedro2NR is the TTF resident "910 expert" though..

Well, I have a 910 and I've had a cycling issue with it. I was able to resolve it by attaching the TomTom device to TomTom HOME, use the emulator on the left side and do a hard reset on the device. Then I reinstalled my software and, just to be sure, installed a previous back up I had.

Remember to make a back up since the hard reset will erase settings and might cause other issues, but after that then installing the latest app. again, it was working fine. Haven't had the issue since. And I"m willing to try anything to get this sucker working again if I have issues..........so...........well, as long as my Dad doesn't steal it. :)

Hi Guys and thanks for your replies!

I will try to answer your questions (let me know if I miss any)...

Battom -- After you posted your message I scanned my unit with my anti-virus software. Nothing showed up. Good thought though.

curare99 -- I haven't tried what you suggested. I will give it a shot next if nothing else works.I just updated the system software after noticing that my system was running the previous version. Not sure that will make much difference though since I didn't come across any problems in the various threads.

pedro2NR -- I rarerly play music on my unit. Mainly b/c I know it causes my unit to freeze up. I would have to say that the freezing/restarting is independent of my playing music, although playing music does pretty much all but guarantee a crash.

Thanks again for your input. I may very well end up sending mine back. Do I need to contact TomTom first? I assume the warranty is 1 yr.

Don

Ask a Question