Xl 340tm

Ok, I got that to work. Thanks...

Now its telling me there is something wrong with the map? do i need to re download that?
Your original map should have been fine.

If you haven't already done so, you will want to perform a hard reset of the unit now that you've got new firmware in it.

If you run into any 'map' problems after that, we'll need to find out about any backups you may have on your PC.

Your original map should have been fine.

If you haven't already done so, you will want to perform a hard reset of the unit now that you've got new firmware in it.

If you run into any 'map' problems after that, we'll need to find out about any backups you may have on your PC.

Ive tried to do a hard reset, but can't get into the menu without using TThome, but then it has that option disabled :/ This is a brand new unit but started facing issues since I had files from a previous model (which was stolen, d*mn thieves) on my computer.

What are your other ideas/advice? I'm about to put it to rest for the evening, but will check back after work tomorrow, approx 6 pm EST. Thanks for all the help so far.

Ive tried to do a hard reset, but can't get into the menu without using TThome, but then it has that option disabled :/
The reset isn't accomplished through Home. With power off, press and hold the power button until the drums come to life. Takes 10~15 seconds.

I'm toast, so headed off. Catch you again per your schedule.

The reset isn't accomplished through Home. With power off, press and hold the power button until the drums come to life. Takes 10~15 seconds.

I'm toast, so headed off. Catch you again per your schedule.

I did that about 100 times... keep getting the map error. Since it might have had an issue with the map from previous device, I deleted the map and then reinstalled through home. to no avail. The unit came with lifetime updates but im afraid if i use that code and it doesnt work I will be unable to return it. Would using the code be a guarantee fix?

ISince it might have had an issue with the map from previous device..
Hmm.. that's the first (I think) we've heard about a "previous device". I assume it was a TomTom? If so, when you first connected it via Home, did Home offer to set up a new account for it? Your new unit needs to have an account set up under a separate email address, NOT the address you used for your old unit. TomTom's servers keep things straight based upon account logins. Any new email address doesn't even have ot be real (just in the (e-mail address removed) format).

Hmm.. that's the first (I think) we've heard about a "previous device". I assume it was a TomTom? If so, when you first connected it via Home, did Home offer to set up a new account for it? Your new unit needs to have an account set up under a separate email address, NOT the address you used for your old unit. TomTom's servers keep things straight based upon account logins. Any new email address doesn't even have ot be real (just in the (e-mail address removed) format).

It was a tom tom and it was stolen right before christmas. Just bought a replacement. Different model tho. I was 100% sure i moved the map file from the old device to a flash drive to essentially delete it from my system but still have it just in case (never can be too safe...and now that i went to check the file...it says it's corrupted) I set up a new account (with another of my 5 or so emails) and as far as I know purged all old files. Is there a way to check if i overlooked a file somewhere?

Should I contact amazon.com (or tomtom) for a replacement at this point?

I should note that the error message i get is "You cannot use this map on this device: USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P-261"
Is this is map that is supposed to be associated with the tomtom xxl540?
It is map version 860.3121

The map i thought moved to my flash drive is called "North America 2GB"

Last edited:
It's certain that your old map will NOT work on your new unit. Unless you get the stolen one back, that old map is useless to you. Each map is keyed to the serial number of the unit.

OK - so you *should* be good to go with Home. When you fire up Home, do you see the new email address as the login in the upper right corner of the screen? If so, that part is working properly.

It's certain that your old map will NOT work on your new unit. Unless you get the stolen one back, that old map is useless to you. Each map is keyed to the serial number of the unit.

OK - so you *should* be good to go with Home. When you fire up Home, do you see the new email address as the login in the upper right corner of the screen? If so, that part is working properly.

Yes, the new email is the one its logged in with.

Don't know what to tell you. If you've still got the original map loaded on that unit that it came with, the only option is to hook up with Home and see if it can be reloaded. I think before I got involved in that, and since you don't have a 'clean' backup of your unit before all of this started, I'd be inclined to return it for another one.

Don't know what to tell you. If you've still got the original map loaded on that unit that it came with, the only option is to hook up with Home and see if it can be reloaded. I think before I got involved in that, and since you don't have a 'clean' backup of your unit before all of this started, I'd be inclined to return it for another one.

I was hoping it wouldnt have to come to that! Thanks for all your help tho.

When I got my XL340tm i did a back up using exsplorer. Glad I did. after I took the new maps and uptdates it started rebooting cycle. I wiped all files off the tomtom. Formated it. Then reaplied the b ack up with exsploer. It took a few times doing this but seams ok now. Just mu point of intrst sound alerts for rest area dont work. But my speed alert works great.

Ask a Question