Xl 340tm

I purchased a XL340TM about a week ago and it has not worked correctly since I first turned it on. The screen flickers/rolls like on an old TV set. Is there anyway to fix this?

I just purchased mine and received it today, and it is doing the exact same thing. It started up just fine and installed part of the updates with no problem at all, but when it tells me the GPS is going to restart after the updates, it just rolls and flickers- doesn't do anything and I can't figure out how to fix it.

Try a reset on the unit (hold the power button for about 15 seconds if that model does not have a dedicated reset hole).

If that doesn't work, connect to the computer and use Windows Explorer to delete the mapsettings.cfg file in the specific map folder. Disconnect the unit properly from the computer.

Restrt the unit.

If that doesn't help, return it...............:(

fixed it!

reset does not work... mine is up and working GREAT now.. the only thing that fixed it was installing the maps FIRST, then installing the update that was causing the screen to roll.. only problem was when it finally restarted it wasn't in english so just press the button on the right- mine said SIM i believe.

re: fixed it

I'm a little slow at this, how exactly do I go about uninstalling the update since I already installed that?

What will happen once I delete the mapsettings.cfg file, doesn't the unit need this?

I'm glad you fixed it but I'm not sure how to follow your lead, Please Help!

I'm a little slow at this, how exactly do I go about uninstalling the update since I already installed that?

What will happen once I delete the mapsettings.cfg file, doesn't the unit need this?

I'm glad you fixed it but I'm not sure how to follow your lead, Please Help!

First, make an Explorer, Not Home, backup of your unit's contents. If not sure how, see here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...4-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.html

Then, use Windows Explorer (NOT Internet Explorer) to delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO Folders or their contents.

Connect to Home and a new application will be offered. Accept and install.

You can use Explorer to delete the mapsettings.cfg file which will be found in the specific map folder (USA_Canada_Mexico probably). By removing it, you lose all favourites, recent destinations, home location. When you boot up the unit, TomTom will recreate a fresh copy of the mapsettings.cfg file (without your previous data, of course).

Thanks, I just did all that, but it's still doing the super-fast rolling of the screen. Any other ideas out there?

I'm not 100% clear what you mean when you say the screen is 'rolling'.

Do you mean it seems to move from icon to icon on its own? If so, check for dirt under the bezel by sliding the sharp edge of a business card slowly around the circumferance of the screen.

here's what fixed mine.

i did not have to delete anything. here is what i did:

when the screen kept rolling, i powered the device off

then, when i turned it back on, hooked it up to my mac, and checked to see if it needed updates it kept showing the update that was causing the screen to roll, soooo....

instead of installing the update i clicked on the button to add maps i believe- then i installed the maps for US & Canada (which, by the way took about an hour).

once it installed the maps and restarted the device i was able to successfully install the update that was previously causing the screen to roll

and now i have a working TomTom.

i did not have to delete anything. here is what i did:

when the screen kept rolling, i powered the device off

then, when i turned it back on, hooked it up to my mac, and checked to see if it needed updates it kept showing the update that was causing the screen to roll, soooo....

instead of installing the update i clicked on the button to add maps i believe- then i installed the maps for US & Canada (which, by the way took about an hour).

once it installed the maps and restarted the device i was able to successfully install the update that was previously causing the screen to roll

and now i have a working TomTom.

Thanks, but I also installed the maps successfully, and I keep getting the notice to install that update too, but it doesn't seem to work

I'm not 100% clear what you mean when you say the screen is 'rolling'.

Do you mean it seems to move from icon to icon on its own? If so, check for dirt under the bezel by sliding the sharp edge of a business card slowly around the circumferance of the screen.

By rolling, I mean like on an older television set the picture would sometimes roll from the top of the screen to the bottom (or vice versa) and just repeat. But on the TomTom it happens so fast that you can barely see it, and can't even make out the words, let alone use the touchscreen for anything. So nope, no icons or dirt to worry about here.

Someone posted a fix for this, but since the forum was down for a couple of days, a number of posts have disappeared :rolleyes:.

I remember the poster said he had this trouble with his screen rolling and once he updated the application (Navcore) via HOME, this was corrected. It took 2 or 3 updates because the updates have to be done sequentially ... You're probably on app. 9.026–which I believe has this problem.

Try these steps. It removes and reinstalls the app, and might allow the latest app (9.056) to properly install.

If it doesn't work, let us know as there are other more involved ways of forcing an app update.

I have this scrolling problem on my XXL 540S and this is the THIRD defective TomTom I have had in two months. Please help because I have no options. Because of the defective devices and the time it has taken to return TWO of them to TomTom, I can no longer return to my retailer, so I am stuck with this.

Did you try replacing your application with this one ?

Make an Explorer, not home, backup of your unit's contents. Then use Home's Manage my Device to, device tab, application, to remove the application.

Download the application in the link and use WinRar to install. See if that helps.

I have read a lot everywhere about problems with the XXL 540 models purchased recently. Do you think TT rushed out a large batch at the very reduced price for the holidays with little quality control checking ? Mine was purchased in May 2010 and I have not seen postings or updates on old reviews (Amazon, etc) from people who have had them for six months or more who are having these (eg) scrolling problems.

Some supplier of the units on Amazon somehow has a batch that appeared to be flashed with the wrong version and bootloader. That's causing all sorts of issues for the purchasers......

Same thing

Im having the same thing happen but the screen is red scrolling. I can get home to allow me to do any feature necessary. Even operate and manage without any error messages (it wasn't even letting me do that at first) I uninstalled the application and reinstalled including an update. I currently have the 9.053 on my tomtom xxl540tm. I downloaded the previous link for the 9.058 but don't know where to unzip the file to.

Please help.

Im having the same thing happen but the screen is red scrolling. I can get home to allow me to do any feature necessary. Even operate and manage without any error messages (it wasn't even letting me do that at first) I uninstalled the application and reinstalled including an update. I currently have the 9.053 on my tomtom xxl540tm. I downloaded the previous link for the 9.058 but don't know where to unzip the file to.

Please help.
To the root of your TomTom. Just allow the extraction to follow the paths that are stored in the file.

Ask a Question