WTH is with update 2.9?

Have been a loyal servant of tomtom for many many years. Over the last 3-4 months, i feel they've let the ball slip a little, maybe due to their sucess, and not giving a **** about their customers with poor software development and lack of mobile phone compatability. Bye bye tomtom.

Lack of mobile phone compatibility? They now have both the Apple and Android markets covered. You'll have to wait a while for the Windows Phone version :D

Maybe patchp009 was referring to the lack of hands-free connectivity for many recent phones on the TomTom pnd models?

Hmmm... could be. Couple of ways to take that, I guess. Seems like most of the heartburn has been over Blackberry models of one sort or another, hasn't it? Voice seems to work pretty well with most anything else. Phone book coverage is a little spotty, but that's partly because of a lack of standardization.

And send/receive of texts.... Massive gaps on TT's compatibility list for those features too.
My last two Nokia phones didn't appear on their list at all.

I've found that a lot of phones aren't on the list, but work. There are many similar models to the ones they have had in hand.

As for data, text and phone books .. Garmin doesn't even try, so I'm not sure where the poster expects to find anything better. Garmin provides hands-free and the dialing of a POI, and the TomTom units seem to talk to most all phones for those two services. I'm not aware of a PND that does any better for the rest of it. If it works, it's a bonus.

FWIW,
OP is obviously using an old OS, as in XP, and would be advised by most people, to update that, for starters. Personally, XP was the best OS MS ever made, up until Windows 7.

XP never came with that crap .NET stuff installed and I also NEVER allowed that bloatware junk on any of my XP machines either. Total crap bloat and not needed for much of anything, if anything.

Windows 7 on the other hand, comes with it preinstalled, and in fact can not be removed (stupid as heck)

I'd be totally PO'd also if I were still running XP and TT had to install all that junk PLUS update the map, and NOT inform me. That must've taken about 6 days to complete!! Just the updates to .NET probably took another 5 days!!

Don't blame OP at all for venting that frustration!!

Just got my first TT a few days ago and was instantly PO'd myself when I discovered this stupid thing doesn't even know which version of the Home it needs and there are absolutely NO instructions that are worth a crap explaing anything.

I have a new model that requires the older TTHome and not the MyHome software. Thanks for telling me TT!! Thusly, very first update, which took WAY to long, totally screwed my map up and said map is not usable with this device. Spent another 5.5 hours deleting EVERYTHING off TT and then reinstalling everything with the correct tool.

Will go back to Garmin, when and if I ever buy another GPS, for sure!!

.....PLUS update the map, and NOT inform me.
Would never happen.

I have a new model that requires the older TTHome and not the MyHome software. Thanks for telling me TT!!

Strange... On the UK website the help page for MyTomTom tells you what models use it and clearly says that the others use TT Home.
And on the download page for TT Home it also tells you which models use MyTomTom instead.
Maybe the US site is not so helpful.

The help page does not even show the Start50 and the download ONLY has the TTHome download link, which IS the correct one, but that wasn't the first page I went to, as I simply went to the main page and tried guessing from there.

Of course, as is usual with my luck, had a 50-50 chance of getting right one first time, but got wrong one!!

Sure sounds like there are several issues with updating this thing, which there should not be anymore for as long as TT has been around now.

Never once had an update issue with my Garmin, but that is so old, I still have to buy maps, which are ridiculously priced!!

Just curious here.
Does the OP consider that the use of vulgarities and other swear words makes him look cool/big/clever?

Probably not, but using them can often make you feel better. :cool:

Ask a Question