WTH is with update 2.9?

It installed 4 different versions of Net Framework without telling me and now I have to cleanup all the extra crap .................total f-----g bullshit~ It even tried to install an addon to Firefox~

If you have never had Microsoft's .NET installed on your Windows PC, I'm surprised .. unless it's a fairly new box. Quite a few applications are written around that environment, including TomTom Home.

Since .NET updates build upon previous installations, it's not uncommon to see it take a bit before it gets you all the way to 3.5 or 4.0 or even 4.5. For the "mess" that results ... well, that's not Home doing that to you, it's Microsoft and their installer for .NET.

Would be curious to know what the Firefox add-on was, though.

It was the Net Framework assistant. And I've purposely not installed Framework by choice...........so when some software doesn't advise you what it's installing.........that's BS as far as I'm concerned.

Garbage!

How do I revert back to version 2.8?

I want this crap framework off my computer,it's everywhere...................just PO'ed with this BS update.

HTF can you not let the user know that your software needs every dam version of the Microsoft garbage?

Well this just gets better..........I bootup to find that I need a dozen security fixes for that crap Framework from WU..........thanks a lot.

This is the last time I buy anything from this company.............this BS update is worse than a ****ing virus.

AND THANKS FOR THE HELP IN LETTING ME KNOW WHERE TO REVERT BACK.............

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 335
We ain't TomTom, if you thought we were...
We are just owners and users just like you - nothing to do with the company itself. (Look at the banner heading)

But if this is the first time a bit of software has auto-installed some other bits of background structure which it needs to work with, then you're a very lucky man! (or don't install much).

My personal beef is with Apple.. now they REALLY install some garbge.
I don't own an iPod, but I do want to have iTunes. So why do I have to have "AppleMobileDeviceService.exe", "iPodService.exe", "\iTunesHelper.exe" and bloody "Bonjour" running (or crashing!) in the background all the time?

And don't get me started on Adobe and Quicktime.....

I'm a comp tech who has installed thousands of apps not only on my machine but my clients! And yes this is the first time I've seen a program install options without warning ...........it's like a backdoor trojan......total BS. The update just showed a popup that stated it was a security update...........not 4 versions of Framework that took over my computer...........and is the reason why I've chosen never to use or install that microcrap garbage. had to revert back with an image.

Guess I'm wondering back to the first post....

You talk about "update 2.9" a though you had previously had a version of TomTom Home running on your computer, and that you were updating it from version 2.8. Home 2.8 could never have run without already having had some version of .NET installed on the machine. This isn't new to version 2.9. .NET is (and has been for as long as I can recall) one of the prerequisites of the operating environment for Home, not just xul. Can't tell you how many times we've had to advise a user to install .NET to get Home running in the past.

I'm a comp tech who has installed thousands of apps not only on my machine but my clients! And yes this is the first time I've seen a program install options without warning ...........
Whoa. You've never had a app installer package install the Visual C++ Redistributable as part of the package? Of course, this would only happen once, unless the 2008 version were required as an update. I'd bet that for most users, the VC++ package was installed with an app, not as a separate installation procedure after downloading it from Microsoft. Hard to imagine you never loaded an app that didn't require that.

Guess I'm wondering back to the first post....

You talk about "update 2.9" a though you had previously had a version of TomTom Home running on your computer, and that you were updating it from version 2.8. Home 2.8 could never have run without already having had some version of .NET installed on the machine. This isn't new to version 2.9. .NET is (and has been for as long as I can recall) one of the prerequisites of the operating environment for Home, not just xul. Can't tell you how many times we've had to advise a user to install .NET to get Home running in the past.

.......It was version 2.7 and after uninstalling all the Net Framework versions and cleaning every trace of it off my machine.................I ran the TOM TOM home software and everything worked perfectly without the crap..........so why is it even needed in the first place?

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 329
It seems that the installer makes use of it. We've had many users who were unable to install Home find themselves having to install it as a prerequisite.

It seems that the installer makes use of it. We've had many users who were unable to install Home find themselves having to install it as a prerequisite.
That's the most ludicrous thing I've ever heard of..............this will be my last update from TOM TOM.

Whatever. There's so much content out there built upon calls to the .NET platform these days that I'll be surprised if you don't run across this again.

Whatever. There's so much content out there built upon calls to the .NET platform these days that I'll be surprised if you don't run across this again.

I have no problem with a software needing some other component to function................BUT I do have a problem with a software update that not only doesn't need or use that component and then doesn't warn you or give you any option to exclude it. To me it's just as bad as a backdoor trojan....................Most legit sites will tell you the requirements for an install,and that gives the choice. I refuse to install NET on my machines and to have a supposed trusted app go behind my back and install this garbage,for no apparent reason is TOTAL BS~ I'm done with this company.

Before we close this out, which we will shortly, what IS your issue with .NET? Just curious.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem. Since installing the 2.9 update I am unable to run home now without a new window opening for "PQSERVICE" and makes any windows open flash until I close and exit tomtom home. How do I stop this? Everything worked fine until I updated.

I have tried to do a complete un-install of home a number of times to no avail. The problem keeps returning. This problem only occurs with tomtom home. I have no idea what to do next. I would appreciate any help and could you please speak to me as an idiot as I'm not that clever with PC's. Many thanks in advance.

Thank you for the quick reply. It would appear that it has assigned itself as the "G" drive which would be assigned to any storage device when I attach to pc. But when I look at it in sys properties it has no allocation?

I have read the link you provided and as yet have not really found a solution but thank you anyway. Kind regards

auscam's issue is best continued in this topic.

Unless ZZZ7 returns to answer canderson's question, I suggest we let this topic die...

Ask a Question