Wrong direction

I just bought a TomTom One and it say to take a right out of my driveway to go out of the neighborhood which is the long way out. How can I get the TomTom to advise me to take a left out of my driveway...which is the way shorter route?

This is very annoying...I've tried everything I know to try. :cool:

Thanks!

Nope, even the best technology has some faults, lots of places I go up in the country the gps will not take the best route that I know to get there, so I still will use a map to get the exact route then let the gps take me the rest of the way to the address, it can not know everything.....:D

Tomtom remembers the way you got to your driveway (going the short way), and assumes that you're still facing that direction when leaving your house. So tomtom thinks you have to do a uturn to go the shorter way. Tomtom severely disfavors uturns for safety concerns, assuming a 5 minute delay, so that's why the short way never get's chosen.

One option is to use mapshare and block a street or a turn on the long way out, so it has no choice but to do a uturn. Just don't share it with others when making the adjustment.

Tomtom remembers the way you got to your driveway (going the short way), and assumes that you're still facing that direction when leaving your house. So tomtom thinks you have to do a uturn to go the shorter way. Tomtom severely disfavors uturns for safety concerns, assuming a 5 minute delay, so that's why the short way never get's chosen.

One option is to use mapshare and block a street or a turn on the long way out, so it has no choice but to do a uturn. Just don't share it with others when making the adjustment.

That makes sense! :)

When I do a "Navigate to" it takes me out of my neighborhood the long way by leaving my driveway in the wrong direction, but when I do a "Prepare route" it takes me out of my driveway in the correct direction...kinda weird. :confused:

I'll try to do a road block, like you said but I bet Mr T will still tell me to make a uturn everytime I start out. :(

I've had a few nav systems but they were all built into the car from the factory....they never had this problem. They knew when I reached a destination that I could pull back out in either direction. :cool:

As noted one of the quirks of the technology. My TT wants me to drive completely around the block to cross the street but I know better. It is annoying but if you are lost at least TT will get you were you are going. This is not just a TT thing btw. I know for a fact at least one other brand does identically the same thing. Common map source perhaps. Glad you have a possible work around.

Tomtom remembers the way you got to your driveway (going the short way), and assumes that you're still facing that direction when leaving your house. So tomtom thinks you have to do a uturn to go the shorter way.

Actually the more I think about it...unless there's a way to change it, it must be telling everyone to do a uturn out of their driveway unless you have two ways out like I do in which it must be telling everyone to continue going in that same direction which would be the longest way out of there neighborhood.

Does it tell everyone to do a uturn out of there driveway?

Because if you are going down your street and it's a deadend and you pull in your driveway then when you leave it will assume you are going in the same direction it will tell you to do a uturn. If you street is not a uturn then it will tell everyone to keep going in that same direction which is incorrect. So it either tells everyone to do a uturn when they leave their home or it tells them the wrong directions???

That just doesn't sound right. :confused:

It's also a function of how many satellites you are getting a signal from, I think. I'll park my car in the garage and when I start my unit up, sometimes it has the car icon pointing one way, sometimes, the other. And, depending upon what direction the unit now 'thinks' the car is facing, it'll give a direction based upon its' interpretation of the car placement.

I guess it's just weird that everyone gets a "take a uturn" message out of their driveway every time or it tells them to go in the wrong direction.
:(

I guess it's just weird that everyone gets a "take a uturn" message out of their driveway every time or it tells them to go in the wrong direction.
:(

We don't. I just don't see the big deal here. It's just your driveway. You know what way to leave so continue to leave that way. The TomTom doesn't always know your EXACT location upon powering it up. I can understand it being annoying if it makes you leave your neighborhood in a big circle, but your driveway? Do you really need guidance from the driveway?

We don't. I just don't see the big deal here. It's just your driveway. You know what way to leave so continue to leave that way. The TomTom doesn't always know your EXACT location upon powering it up. I can understand it being annoying if it makes you leave your neighborhood in a big circle, but your driveway? Do you really need guidance from the driveway?

Of course I dont need guidance from my driveway. It just seems real weird that it tells all of us to do a uturn or gives us wrong directions.

Does it do that to you too? If not then why does it do it to me and not you...seems like I'm doing something wrong here.

I don't know why, but sometimes mine will have me leave my house one way, sometimes the other. Looking at it, sometimes it will have me pointed west, and when it does, it tells me to go the long way out of my neighborhood. Sometimes, though, like now, it has me pointed east, and tells me to go the short way.

I guess maybe it's the way you're picking up the satellites?

I believe when you power up the TT,
it will face the way based on your last stop and where it loses its signal
and use it to calculate which way to go
but I think it is not a big deal
as soon as it picks up the signal and know which way you are heading
you will get the correct direction

That makes sense! :)
I've had a few nav systems but they were all built into the car from the factory....they never had this problem. They knew when I reached a destination that I could pull back out in either direction. :cool:

Car-based nav systems usually use the car's wheels and/or gyroscope to know exactly which direction you are facing. This "driveway" issue only affects portable GPSs. Maybe the GO 940 (when it gets to the US) won't have the issue, since it has a built-in gyroscope.

That makes sense...thanks! I guess I'm not used to it since the nav systems I've owned in the past were factory installed.

I don't seem to have that problem, why? you ask..:confused: well I just used a cross street right in front of my house, so everytime I leave my driveway it thinks I'm starting from the cross street so it always sends me out of our little neighborhood the correct way;) interesting huh.....:)

Does it tell everyone to do a uturn out of there driveway?
If I request routing before getting into the street and moving my way, yes, quite frequently.

One thing that may help is to "Clear Route" at the end of each trip home. I'm not sure your TT will recall your previous direction afterwards.

I normally plan my route when I'm inside the house and then walk out with the TomTom turned on in my hand. As I'm walking to the car with the TomTom in my hand, the device gets confused and keeps recalculating route and switches between pulling out of my driveway to the left or to the right. It all depends where the TomTom thinks it is.

What also doesn't help is that my TomTom tend's to "drift" on its own. I plan a route here at my desk, sit the TomTom on my desk and don't move it, and since the device car icon "drifts" it will keep recalculating to either pull out left or right. Just depends on which way the TomTom thinks it is pointing. The reason it has you go the other way if it thinks you are facing one way, is because TomTom's don't like making you turn around or make a u-turn.

Last edited:

Ask a Question