Wrong spoken directions

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
Another member here mentioned this already but I just noticed this myself as well 2 days ago. The TomTom messes up in early warnings. It will say "Ahead, turn right" or "Ahead, keep left" when it's really the oposite direction.

At least 8 times (pretty much every time so far) it has screwed up by saying something like "Left turn ahead" as an early warning but will show a right arrow and once the turn comes near, it will say "In a quarter of a mile, turn right"

Anyone else notice this?

Sure did. The wief had noticed it first but thought my hearing problem had made me miss the turn direction. I often have a quick look at the distance/direction summary and find it most helpful. Particularly so when you have very close roads and wonder if it's this coming one or the next.

Sure did. The wief had noticed it first but thought my hearing problem had made me miss the turn direction. I often have a quick look at the distance/direction summary and find it most helpful. Particularly so when you have very close roads and wonder if it's this coming one or the next.

A local guide does one thing that the tomtom930 can not do at the moment.
And this is to say 'just go straight' when approaching a similar looking street.
tomtom does not say 'not yet... not yet... ok.. now turn here'.

it does say 'right turn at the third right'... or something. But then you are on your own to count the number of 'rights'.

Another member here mentioned this already but I just noticed this myself as well 2 days ago. The TomTom messes up in early warnings. It will say "Ahead, turn right" or "Ahead, keep left" when it's really the oposite direction.

At least 8 times (pretty much every time so far) it has screwed up by saying something like "Left turn ahead" as an early warning but will show a right arrow and once the turn comes near, it will say "In a quarter of a mile, turn right"

Anyone else notice this?

Was it not you that posted yesterday that you'd lost all your voices? If so, what did you do to get them back?

Was it not you that posted yesterday that you'd lost all your voices? If so, what did you do to get them back?

Ohh that was mid-last week I had the issue.

After so much screwing around with them, almost giving up, I saw where on Pocket GPS World a member posted links directly to some voice ZIP or CAB files directly from TomTom's website. I unzipped and copied all 4 voices directly on my device and everything worked GREAT.

For some reason, when Home installed the voices, it just didn't work at all. At one time Home went to install v693 voices like normal but the OS couldn't use it at all. They wouldn't show up. So I reinstalled everything on the TomTom, and now Home tried installing the new v7 voices on the TomTom, and now they show up on the unit but still didn't work at all. Once I manually installed the voices from the links, all great!

If it wasn't for the posted links to the voices my voices would have never worked.

A few days later TomTom Home offers an update for Kate and Simon as now they are v710. I installed the 2 new ones, and didn't work on the unit. I went back to regular V7 by using the ones directly from TomTom's site with no issues (except for the incorrect early warnings)

The incorrect early warnings also come from some 8.3 NavCore users as well. It's just clearly giving the oposite direction each time. It will litterally say out loud "Right turn ahead" but the TomTom will show a left arrow + 1.2 Miles. It doesn't bother me, I just thought it was kinda funny. I glance at the screen alot so I know what the "real" instructions are.

Experimenting with Loquendo computer voices can be a daunting task. Basically there are three versions: the large 910 voices, those for the x20 and the latest x30 voices. They differ in compression level and need the corresponding Loquendo engine to work right. The language choice varies according to the Loquendo version. There are also compatibility issues with the NavCore versions.

There are also some configuration parameters that can be adjusted. With a text editor one can change them but testing can take quite some time to check the changes. In theory, there are many possibilities but many fields such as the phonetic fileds are hidden in the TT system files which can't be accessed by the user. I experimented a little but the time to test was more than I could afford. This is definitely not for one who is not very much at ease with computers, file handling, backups & pin resets!

I have experienced hearing the same opposite directions. On occasion, using Susan, to me her right turn sounded like left turn. Map showed a definite right turn. I would get her to repeat the directions and it would come thru correctly sounding "right turn". I always thought it was just my hearing. Next time try getting a repeat of the message and compare what you hear.

Last edited:
A thought: Can we get a read on whether it's actually saying the direction wrong or whether it's simply already telling us what to do two steps from now? For example I noticed my 920 was telling me what exit to get off at before I'd even taken the onramp onto the highway. If you're not looking at the street or exit name on the unit (and especially if you're not using the computer voice which says the street name), you might think the direction was wrong.

It is giving the wrong turn direction. It happens frequently at an exit I use all the time. So I watch for it. Doesn't happen all the time, but enough to get my attention.

I agree with the observation. Sometimes I too 'seem to' hear 'susan' say 'turn left'.. but then when I press the direction key for a repeat, Susan will say 'turn right'. So it is Susan's word against mine. And I have no proof.

Out of curiosity sake...

The next time you spot the problem, can you make a route that includes the road for the wrong direction spoken and then do a route demo (at less than 300%) to see if the computer voice gives the wrong verbal message at that spot?

Out of curiosity sake...

The next time you spot the problem, can you make a route that includes the road for the wrong direction spoken and then do a route demo (at less than 300%) to see if the computer voice gives the wrong verbal message at that spot?

I'll simulate the route for ya in a few min. I'll even post a video of it, if I can get it to repeat the incorrect early warning.

Edit: Blah! This seems to be one of those phenomenons you can't reproduce in demo mode :( Not only that, but IQ routes is constantly changing the route every time I plan the route, so I can't set it to the exact same route I had set from Clearwater, FL to Tampa, FL. I'll try again in a bit.

Last edited:

Ask a Question