Compass Direction wrong on new 730

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom One
When I turn on the compass on my TT730 what shows is a carot ( looks like > ) "pointing" in the direction I'm heading. At least part of the time.

When I'm going North or South it points either up or down, in the right direction for North or South, as we are used to seeing NSEW on a map. However when I'm going East it points to the left and when I'm going West it is pointing to the right.

All routing is correct, the direction in the status bar is correct, everything seems to work correctly but the East/West orientation of the compass/carot.

Tom Tom help sounded like it was either something I had changed, or simply a problem with my unit. The only thing they could suggest was using the reset to factory settings function.

Anyone else seen this? Anyone have any brilliant ideas? Mine seem to have leaked out of my head! I can simply turn it off or leave it there and know its wrong - it's just bugging me.

Thanks
rhys

I've noticed the same thing on North_America_805_1801 maps.

Gotta believe there's a fixable patch comin' soon.

Maybe I'm missing something here...based on what you're saying it sounds like the compass arrow is always pointing North "When I'm going North or South it points either up or down, in the right direction for North or South." When you're going East...and IF the compass is pointing North...then the arrow would point to the left...and if you're going West the arrow would point to the right. I have a TT930 and noticed the same thing, I looked in my owner's manual and it doesn't match what is available in the unit. I posted this question somewhere and someone said that TT had discontinued some fo the compass functions (ie having it point to the compass direction you're going etc.) Looks like TT did away with some things that people would like to use.

On the 920 you can change the setting... seems like your 930 is set to alway point north. No idea if it's adjustable on the 930....

Rick2 - good point. Too bad TomTom hasn't figured that out! It's just so unlike the way the compass works on other TT units that it throws me. Even now, that I understand what is going on, I think I'll turn it off.

Hopefully ChillyCat is right and TomTom will patch the old style compass back in to the 730. Or is it all x30's that do this?

Thanks to both - one for letting me know that it is not just me and the other for seeing what was going on!

Rick2 - good point. Too bad TomTom hasn't figured that out! It's just so unlike the way the compass works on other TT units that it throws me. Even now, that I understand what is going on, I think I'll turn it off.

Hopefully ChillyCat is right and TomTom will patch the old style compass back in to the 730. Or is it all x30's that do this?

Thanks to both - one for letting me know that it is not just me and the other for seeing what was going on!
The 30s do not have a customizable compass. The smaller one they use only points north. I always had my 920 compass pointing in the direction of travel and I do miss this option on my 930.
John

I've turned mine off too...just don't need it. I'm not sure if they've done this to all of the x30's or not...I had a TT One v3 before my 930 and it had all of the compass functions...I turned it off on that one too. If TT does come out with a patch I probably still won't use it...but it's still nice to be able to set it up the way you want to if you need it.

Glad I could hopefully shed some light on this.

I too have the same problem. When I travel North it points North, when I travel south it points south but east and west are backwards.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too have the same problem. When I travel North it points North, when I travel south it points south but east and west are backwards.

you opened up a can of worms here man:rolleyes: Cant talk about that. Its the nav 8 software that changed it, not the map. They will be fixing it on the next update.

Also there is no nav8 software yet for home :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a thought, but why don;t you try to set the unit orientation upside-down, and then switch it back again, and also try switching it to left-handed operation and then back again. There's a tiny chance that some orientation setting is screwed and these orientation changes MAY be able to "reset" the compass.

Worth a try, even if it's a one-in-a-million chance.

BTW - My TT One used to do the exact same thing. I'm not sure what cleared it, but it's working correctly now. You are on the latest App version, right?

As some people have pointed out, kind of, the compass isn't broken. It just isn't configured as you would hope. I guess GPS manufacturers have decided to have the compass point north (as a real compass would), instead of always having north to the top and having the arrow point in the direction you are heading.

Also, as people have mentioned, this is configurable on the x20 series. I guess TomTom took out the configurability of this option with the new series.

Things change,

Tim

My bad. I like the "always pointing north" compass, so they did this change for me. Sorry!

Kidding, of course, but I do prefer the "always pointing north" compass. :)

My bad. I like the "always pointing north" compass, so they did this change for me. Sorry!

Kidding, of course, but I do prefer the "always pointing north" compass. :)

Like you I to prefere to have my compass pointing to Magnetic north.

The same way you look at any map and North is always at the top of the Map.

On my older Magellan I had a choice to select Magnetic North as a option and that is what I had but I must admit I also have a Compass in my Van that showes me the direction I am going, a good cross referance.

It's got to be the nav 8 software

you opened up a can of worms here man:rolleyes: Cant talk about that. Its the nav 8 software that changed it, not the map. They will be fixing it on the next update.

Also there is no nav8 software yet for home :(

I recently upgraded the software from nav7 to nav8 and the east/west problem on my compass started. Funny, this also is a problem on my factory installed GPS unit that came with my Chrysler!

I recently upgraded the software from nav7 to nav8 and the east/west problem on my compass started. Funny, this also is a problem on my factory installed GPS unit that came with my Chrysler!

It is NOT pointing E or W. Trust me, it ALWAYS points North. Visualize laying your unit flat like a paper map. I know it is confusing at first. Too bad TT screwed up this compass option badly. :eek: :(

I, too, had this question and figured it out in my sleep...the compass always points north. But.... I'm reading the User's Manual for the 730 and it says it's customizable.... On Page 53, under preferences, there is supposed to be a "Compass preferences". But... I cannot find "Compass preferences". It says one of the preferences for "compass preferences" is "none". But that field is updated in Status bar. Anyone get compass preferences in Preferences?

I, too, had this question and figured it out in my sleep...the compass always points north. But.... I'm reading the User's Manual for the 730 and it says it's customizable.... On Page 53, under preferences, there is supposed to be a "Compass preferences". But... I cannot find "Compass preferences". It says one of the preferences for "compass preferences" is "none". But that field is updated in Status bar. Anyone get compass preferences in Preferences?

One needs to remember that you consult a written manual that was printed before TT revised its NavCore, the software used by TT. While previous versions had the possibility to set preferences for the compass, the newer version removed that option. It may come back in future versions if TT gets enough complaints...

Ask a Question