Windows 7 64 bit. 720 isn't recognized

Well, I don't doubt what you say, but it is now common for manufacturers to point the finger at MS, as they are a big target. The fact that many of us are running Home on 64-bit Win7 without problems is not a matter of luck. Given Microsoft's early Vista fiasco, I have to believe they worked doubly hard to ensure hardware compliance with as many systems as they could test in the alpha and beta phases. Again, the best way to find out if you have a hardware issue is to try connect to another machine, preferably with the same OS. My system is homebuilt and I have yet to have a compatibility issue with Win7 on it.

We are going to see a BIG issue with PCs in general over the next couple of years. As indicated, the hardware is moving rapidly toward 64bit. As a matter of fact, it is more difficult to find a 32 bit machine than a 64bit machine (unless you're in the market for an ultra-budget priced machine). I am NOT knocking any 32 bit hardware at all. I recently purchased a laptop for a fairly modest price (that what I was looking for to supplement my network when around the house). The laptop cost less than $450 out the door and is a 64bit machine (!).

the SOFTWARE industry, is not keeping up (and, to some degree, don't seem to have a sense of urgency at all). They, initially, attempt to load their legacy software on a 64bit platform, have it run as a 32bit (x86 folder) application and hope for the best. The result: spotty performance andoperability issues, or, in the worst case, no operability at all.

Just the way it is right now.

If you doubt what I am saying, check the internet for a true 64bit security suite and report back to me with the results (yeah, I already know the answer):D

Kudos to Adobe, who has been putting out 64-bit multi-core aware versions of their most CPU/memory intensive apps for some time now. CS4 just screams on my system, but I give it four cores and 8 GB of ram to play in. :) Any mature 64-bit OS will run 32-bit apps with no trouble, but yeah, those companies need to get with the program. I know coders make good money, but it is almost 2010!

I've been building systems since the early 90s and this is the first one I've put together that nothing bogs down on. Photoshop snaps up like it was minimized, games run good, all under Microsoft's best effort yet. Now, when SSDs finally mature and come down in price, look out....;)

Well, I don't doubt what you say, but it is now common for manufacturers to point the finger at MS, as they are a big target. The fact that many of us are running Home on 64-bit Win7 without problems is not a matter of luck. Given Microsoft's early Vista fiasco, I have to believe they worked doubly hard to ensure hardware compliance with as many systems as they could test in the alpha and beta phases. Again, the best way to find out if you have a hardware issue is to try connect to another machine, preferably with the same OS. My system is homebuilt and I have yet to have a compatibility issue with Win7 on it.

I thought it was BS that the 64bit version would be an issue..but this was a supervisor.:confused:

I have now tried 2 separate brand new TT 740s bought from Sams that come with map 825. I have used winxp pro, win7 32 and 64 bit, 3 different internet connections(one at home and 2 different work locations)...no matter what the 740 will not be offered the map update service. Supposedly he supervisor yesterday said she saw this once before...it has no been escalated to level 2 tech support.:mad:

They have offered no solution such as ..pay $40 and every quarter we will stick the new map on your account....like psuedo MUS.

I like the 740 but looks like it will go back....I really like the BT and would like to keep this feature if possible....

I am afraid to get another TT becasue of the issues. I spending too many hours on the phone with tech support now

I agree I really like Win 7 64bit. It is very stable and I have gotten one BSOD but this was a weird esata and adapter issue.

Not a big fan ot the built in backup, as it is not working well on my eSata ext drive.

I thought it was BS that the 64bit version would be an issue..but this was a supervisor.

Ha! If that supervisor is anything like my supervisor, he likely does not know his rear-end from the proverbial hole in the ground. All kinds of semi-competent people are promoted into jobs they should not have. Not sure why you can't get the latest maps. This definitely sucks.

working properly when I hook up my 720 to the computer, it ask me if I would like to connect it to the computer. I select yes and the 720 shows the screen with the red X (don't disconnect) and TomTom home loads up but when I go into device it's not listed or when I click operate my go I get "no maps loaded"

I just reinstalled my 720 into windows 7 64bit ultimate and had the SD card show but not the TomTom volume. When I initially plugged in the 720 I got a blue screen failure. Second time the computer did not crash loading drivers. However I did not see the TomTom volume only my SD card. At Home saw no device, with or without the SD card.

Go to your windows-- device manager (control pannel system)..and under disk drives uninstall both drives labeled Tomtom..right click uninstall.. Then see if you have another unknown device under System Volumes. This one was the issue for me. Reinstall the driver using the windows default generic driver. You have to select find on disk. Once I reselected the Generic windows driver the device popped back up in the Latest version of home.Just uninstalling the device will not fix the issue you need to load a new driver.

So the software works fine in windows 7 64 bit probably just a corrupt driver associated with the 720. Re associate it. If you are unsure of what to fix watch the device manager window while you turn off your GPS.. you will see things disappear and reappear when it it turned back on..

Note I am not nan expert just figured a blue screen during install caused a driver corruption..For me..

Hopefully this helps..

Welcome to TTF and thank you for your input; I'm sure it'll be useful to many users here.

Ask a Question