Windows 7 64 bit. 720 isn't recognized

working properly when I hook up my 720 to the computer, it ask me if I would like to connect it to the computer. I select yes and the 720 shows the screen with the red X (don't disconnect) and TomTom home loads up but when I go into device it's not listed or when I click operate my go I get "no maps loaded"

Last edited:
Do you keep your maps on an SD card? I've seen people report compatibility issues where windows Vista / Windows 7 can't always see an SD in the Tomtom drive.

I assume that's some hardware incompatibility.

Did you try a pin reset?

When it's plugged into the computer, can you see the new Tomtom drive and its folders? If you can see its folders try the following:
1) make a backup
2) delete the "maps" folder (not the "north america" folder)
3) delete ttgo.bif in the root of the Tomtom folder
4) reinstall the app per these steps
5) do another pin reset

hmmmm interesting.

I have a TT Go720, latest version of Home and the latest (I think) firmware, latest NA map on an/the SD card.

I am running Vista 64 Pro RTM on a machine with AMD Phenom quad-core 64s and 8Gb of RAM. Installation of home went seamlessly.

Prior, I had it all running good on XP64 Pro (I am in a dual boot set-up right now). Didn't do anything special. Just downloaded latest home from TT web site, and poked the power button on the TT afterward and let it rip.

GO powered up, and all is working seamlessly.

Make sure you are running the latest of everything. In my case all is well (................. so far..............)

heck, maybe I just jinxed myself...:D

Last edited:
I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate and the TTHome runs and I am able log in, but it does not recognize my Go720. It keeps telling me to connect my device. It does see the SD Card, but not the device itself. I guess there is a compatibility issue in Windows 7 that has not been addressed yet?

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate and the TTHome runs and I am able log in, but it does not recognize my Go720. It keeps telling me to connect my device. It does see the SD Card, but not the device itself. I guess there is a compatibility issue in Windows 7 that has not been addressed yet?

Did you try a pin reset?

I've seen all sorts of incompatibility issues with Vista reported, especially if you use the SD card.

I haven't been able to figure out a pattern on why it works for some and not others. These issues may also be occurring on Windows 7. The only solutions I've seen were pin resets, disabling UAC, or running as administrator.

Personally, I'm happy staying on XP. I prefer to always stay on the most deployed OS to give me the best odds of device compatibility.

Well, now, that's an interesting comment. I am running as an admin, AND, my UAC is turned OFF (and has been since about 11 secs after the Win 7 install completed...:D )

I am running a dual boot XP64 and Win7 x64. I agree, I also keep a safety valve available.

But, to be fair, Win 7, so far, seems to be OK... no big issues....

Last edited:
Is there a compatibility mode to run Home in? (as XP)

In WIn7?

Sort of.....

You can still right-click a program, and select a compatibility mode (moving back in OSs). I have had spotty luck with that, as I still use Fortran compilers that haven't been available since WIn95.

Now, with everything migrating to 64bit, another issue crops up. IF you have a 64 bit system, and want to run older 32 bit software, it can get a little hairy.

With real old software (or even not-so-old software), it runs better on XP x86 straight up, and XP had better compatibility modes than Win7 IMHO. Now, I am not taking anything away from 7. The reality is, Win XP is 10 years old, and 95/98, of course, is even older. Even MS has to draw a line in the sand somewhere.

Now starting with the Win7 Pro versions (Pro and Ultimate), the OS supports an XPx86 virtual machine that can be downloaded (free) from MS. It is actually an XP SP3 virtual machine that allows you to do whatever it was that you wanted to do on a true XP OS. The kicker is that your HARDWARE must be able to support virtualization (processor(s) and BIOS) --- not all do. Secondly, on a quad core AMD Phenom (64) with 8gB of RAM, the virtual machine takes, on the order of, 40 seconds to become usable. I can only imagine what happens with a system that is not loaded with steroids. YOu may wait a while.

For me, this was ideal. Running WIn7 Pro x64, have XP Prox86 running as a virtual machine, so I am golden with older programs...

Of course, if you still have source media and legal licenses, and your hardware supports it, there is always the ability to run different OSs on different Virtual Machine software, such as VMWare (which I recommend highly). IF you have a lot of older programs, I would move toward virtualization rather than fuss with compatibility, but that's just me.....

Now, I run Home in Win7x64 Pro, and ewverything has worked like a champ from day one. UAC is off, and I am running from an admin account. Drift away from THAT, and I am not sure what would happen. Home works great in the Virtual XP machine over NAT. That is seamless as well. So far, So good

hope this long-winded explanation helps.

Last edited:
Thank you for the feedback. Scary thing is I actually understood some of what you said! :D

In reality, I was happy using DOS 5.0 and it's been a struggle since..........:p

Thank you for the feedback. Scary thing is I actually understood some of what you said! :D

In reality, I was happy using DOS 5.0 and it's been a struggle since..........:p

heh... funny thing is, you would be surprised how many folks still run DOS 6.22 and do so in virtual machines. It's more than ya think.... I feel ya.

As a matter of fact, I still have an old DOS fortran compiler that I sometimes run in DOS. IT is slicker than snot and faster than ANYTHING in XP/Winxx.....

SOmetimes I think pooter technology cut's off its nose despite its face.... sign of the times I suppose.:D

CHEERS ! :cool:

One additional piece of info for this issue: the downloadable XP Mode from M$ does work nicely with Win7 64-bit, but when I ran it, it would only see my USB thumb drive, but not any USB gaming device I connected (gamepad, joystick). I was hoping it would let me run some legacy games under Win7; it did, but without the peripheral support I needed. So, it might see the SD drive on the TomTom, but perhaps not. Certainly worth a try. It'll be one of the first things I check out once I get my 730, and I'll report back with results.

You may try this. The MS virtual machine is plug-and-play, and doesn't give you a whole lot of tweaking ability.

VMWare, on the other hand, allows you to set up the virtual machine "as you please". It also affords you better support for USB devices, and, in fact allows you to install VMWare Tools that "blend" with the virtual OS and allow to to have the support that you desire for devices. You alos have the ability to attach these devices with ther current drivers and operate within the virtual OS.

The drawback, VMWare workstation is a little pricey, although free VMWare utilities exist as well, but aren't as intuitive as the paid version (of course).

May want to give that a shot.

Drawback#2: in the case of a third pary virtual machine, you gotta have a licensed copy of the OS to load.

Maybe this will help?

WRT seeing both internal memory and the SD card, it works in XP Virtual for me.....i'll go home and check it out again, but I am pretty sure that it is all being seen. Of course, as reported above, I am working 100% with TT, Home and Win 7 x64...

Last edited:
I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit and I'm having this problem too. Do you think that it's because my TT isn't compatible with Windows 7? I would hate reverting back to Vista... cause I kind of like 7. It hasn't caused my any issues except for now.

As indicated, I am running fine on Win7 vs. TomTom. If it is working for 64bit, I would think it should work on 32bit as well.

Now, a couple of things to check. I keep forgetting that I also have various installs of Visual Studio, which makes sure that the .net framework is running well.

Check the list of installed programs in control panel, and insure that you have the .net framework (properly) installed...

Uninstall TT Home, and DL the LATEST version from their site, and try again.

Once TT Home installs, double check that TT Home didn't DOWNGRADE your .net FW version (unlikely, I know, but, stranger things have happened).

Not sure what to say, but it works on Win7x64 Pro for ME.

Now, that being said, if I walk away and leave the TT connected and ON for a prolonged period of time, I DO get a blue screen and reboot for some odd reason. Only happens when TT is connected.....???

Running 64-bit Win7 Ultimate and it sees all my USB devices, including the SD card on my 730. I don't think the problem folks are having is a Win7 issue per se, but more of a USB issue. I had to replace a motherboard that just was not putting out enough voltage to the USB ports, and I had several devices that XP never even acknowledged were connected. These same devices all worked when connected to any other computer. If you folks can, try connecting your TomToms to other systems to verify the problem is not the unit.

Win 7 64 bit and TT home

FWIW:
I had big issues with my first GO 740 updating properly. I spent 4 hrs on the phone with TT and spoke with a Supervisor who stated TT is not fully compatible with the Win 7 64bit. I was not getting my camera databse to update, kept getting a server error.

He said TT home works with XP and vista 32 bit( and they know it seems to work ok with 32 bit win7). They have no clear time frame to full support 64bit. They are working on 32bit win7. Amazing since MS and most coders want to get away fully from 32bit OS.

Ask a Question