Why does IE now load when I bootup my computer?

TomTom Model(s)
XXL 550T
Thanks for the help with my prior inquiry, I'm getting used to the GPS now. First longish roadtrip is this weekend, so we'll see what happens!

Yesterday I hooked it (XXL 550T) up to the computer, downloaded the latest maps, etc (2+ hours total!). It wanted me to use Internet Explorer, so I did. All well and good, but now whenever I power up the PC (using XP), IE opens to the tomtom.com page.

It's not in my programs/startup menu. I can find it when I run MSConfig, but when I try to unclick the boxes, I get warning messages (and instructions to contact my systems administrator which, if it isn't me, is my dog).

Has this happened to others? Is there an easy way to get IE to stop opening like this?

Thanks!!!

That is really bizarre......

Check this for me.

Open Home.......

In Home's Preferences.....General tab.........Uncheck the first 2 choices: Check for Updates..... and Start TT Home automatically. In the Connection tab, Select 'Direct Connection' then click on 'done' .

Reboot your computer, and connect your unit to the computer. See if it still occurs.

You may be on to something.

I seem to have two copies of Home.

Under programs, I have TomTom.

Under TomTom I have:

My TomTom
TomTom Home 2
Uninstall My TomTom
Uninstall TomTom Home 2

No idea which one is "right". Just don't want to have to go through the whole install thing again if I uninstall the wrong one.

Thanks!

Edit:

I've gone into My TomTom (the 1st one does nothing, Home 2 launches the program) and done the unclicking you suggested above. Off to reboot and report back!

(GPS is in the car, so I didn't hook it up this time. Will try if I need to)

Last edited:
Rebooted, same issue. Now attached my unit to the computer, it asked me if I want to download TomTom Home (again!). I told it "no", and nothing happened. I've got my existing Home open, the boxes are still unchecked as before, and I'll reboot one more time with the GPS attached to the computer.

If I understand correctly, you are running Windows XP and Internet Explorer (some version). When you start IE, it is coming up using the TomTom website. To change that, go to your preferred startup page, select tools (from the menu across the top of that page), Internet Options (from the drop down list) and the tab showing when selected should be "General". Near the top of the page, it says "Homepage". Click "use current" and apply at the bottom of that open page. Next time you start, you should start with the page you selected. If this does not work or if I have some of the other information wrong, get back and I'll try to help.

If I understand correctly, you are running Windows XP and Internet Explorer (some version). When you start IE, it is coming up using the TomTom website. To change that, go to your preferred startup page, select tools (from the menu across the top of that page), Internet Options (from the drop down list) and the tab showing when selected should be "General". Near the top of the page, it says "Homepage". Click "use current" and apply at the bottom of that open page. Next time you start, you should start with the page you selected. If this does not work or if I have some of the other information wrong, get back and I'll try to help.

I use Firefox. But when I hooked up my GPS the first time, it launched IE. When I turn on my PC, IE loads up at the TomTom page. My homepage on IE is still MSN, which is probably what came with the computer, as I never bothered to change that.

It's the startup process of my PC (running XP) that causes IE to open. Thanks!

See if you can locate iexplorer in the Start-up.

Click on Start -> Run -> type in msconfig click OK, click on the Start-up tab, if you find iexplorer.exe untick the checkbox in front of it.

You may also need to look in Start -> Programs -> Start-up.

See if you can locate iexplorer in the Start-up.

Click on Start -> Run -> type in msconfig click OK, click on the Start-up tab, if you find iexplorer.exe untick the checkbox in front of it.

You may also need to look in Start -> Programs -> Start-up.

See my first post. That gives me errors

Did you try the msconfig? If not, open "Run", type in msconfig, then choose the "startup" tab, then look for the ieexplore.exe. Uncheck it and click apply. The computer will then reboot and when it starts, uncheck the "show this on every startup" or whatever it says and you should be in business. This is much different from start/program files... etc.

Did you try the msconfig? If not, open "Run", type in msconfig, then choose the "startup" tab, then look for the ieexplore.exe. Uncheck it and click apply. The computer will then reboot and when it starts, uncheck the "show this on every startup" or whatever it says and you should be in business. This is much different from start/program files... etc.

Tried that, when I next boot up, IE does not come up, but I get an error message telling me I've messed with the msconfig, and I'm going to get this message every time and it's not going to check the msconfig rules in the future, so I reverted and rechecked the damn box.

When that window shows up upon the computer reboot, just check the box that says 'Don't show this message....' and it won't on subsequent reboots.

When that window shows up upon the computer reboot, just check the box that says 'Don't show this message....' and it won't on subsequent reboots.

I considered that, but it also says that it won't be checking the MSConfig file on future startups (or something like that), and that sounded 'bad' to me. Am I wrong?

Not to worry. It's the standard message that appears after any changes to msconfig.

At some future time if you wish to change anything in the startup tab, just repeat the process of running msconfig, disabling the program(s) you wish, rebooting, and checking the box in the message screen that appears.

In fact, you can uncheck most everything in that startup tab (except your anti-virus) and you will not see any change except for much faster startups.

You mentioned that you have MyTomTom installed. Isn't MyTomTom a new version of Home that uses IE for updating maps and software? Try uninstalling MyTomTom and leave Home and see if that fixes it for you.

Ask a Question