Does downloading Mapshre updates slowly eat away disk space?

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom 125
I don't know why, but it seems everytime I connect to TomTom Home it offers a map share update. I connected 3 hours ago and downloaded the latest mapshare update.

Then I just connected again, and TT Home told me there was a mapshare update available. I did a free space analysis before and after the update, and here's what I found:

download 4.5 MB size.
Used space before update: 875,364,352 bytes used (834MB). After update: 876,560,384 bytes used (835 MB).

I'm concerned if I lose 1 MB of space with every mapshare update, I could soon run out of space on the TomTom 125.

Does anyone know if this is a problem?

I'm concerned if I lose 1 MB of space with every mapshare update, I could soon run out of space on the TomTom 125.

Does anyone know if this is a problem?
Eats tiny bits at a time. They're incremental. At the rate they come out and given the size, it will take a long time before it fills up the available space. Something else must have come across with that update. Have never had a mapshare eat up anything near that much.

Can I assume this was your first download. My updates are always smaller than the 0.1MB QuickGPSfix downloads.

I've got a 125 (for about 2 1/2 mos now) and have loaded lots of POIs, some voices, car symbols, sounds, start up and shut down images (I've deleted some as well), and still have plenty of room. I'm not concerned in the least about mapshare downloads being too much to handle.

Can I assume this was your first download. My updates are always smaller than the 0.1MB QuickGPSfix downloads.

I've got a 125 (for about 2 1/2 mos now) and have loaded lots of POIs, some voices, car symbols, sounds, start up and shut down images (I've deleted some as well), and still have plenty of room. I'm not concerned in the least about mapshare downloads being too much to handle.

No, I first downloaded 3 weeks ago. Today I downloaded twice. So all in all I think about the 5th or 6th download.

The mapshare update that accompanies the latest map is about 5.5MB, Unclear to me exactly what TT is doing with this update, but it looks to me that we might have misinterpreted when TT announced this would be the first map release that included user-submitted mapshare changes. If they've done as I suspect, those changes are not physically embedded in the map but are being augmented with a "mapshare" file. It will probably be much clearer within a day or so. But yes, a large initial mapshare download for this map update is normal.

Last edited:
The mapshare update that accompanies the latest map is about 5.5MB, Unclear to me exactly what TT is doing with this update, but it looks to me that we might have misinterpreted when TT announced this would be the first map release that included user-submitted mapshare changes. If they've done as I suspect, those changes are not physically embedded in the map but are being augmented with a "mapshare" file. It will probably be much clearer within a day or so. But yes, a large initial mapshare download for this map update is normal.

How strict are your mapshare settings? If you change it to "verified by tomtom" is it still just as large?

I have written down a list of my mapshare updates, so I can re-make them quarterly when the subscriptions comes out. I wouldn't be surprised if all the early adopters went in and made all their corrections immediately upon download of 825 causing the 5MB, if your setting is "changes submitted by many" or less strict.

There could not possibly be 10,000+ new mapshare updates submitted the same morning as the map was made available. All those users would have to have reconnected for no particular reason to TT home to even submit them. TT has done something totally different with this update from all the previous. There is a large mapshare update associated with this map. And to me, it looks like this is the method TT used for incorporating the user mapshare changes advertised for this map.

Last edited:
I have an idea to test:

There is a highway offramp that was removed at the intersection of Roosevelt Ave and 71st st in Queens, NY.

The latest teleatlas,com map dosen't have this offramp, but map 815 does.

Is it removed in 825? Or set up as a mapshare block?

I'm wondering if I may have found the answer.

I was looking at TT Home, Map Share Preferences. I have mine set at Strict. Current corrections on device, 1.1MB. After this update 1.1 MB. Then when moving the slider to Low, this is what shows, Current corrections on device 1.1 MB. After this update 5.5 MB.

Even going to Medium, after this update is only 1.2 MB. It appears that updating to "corrections reported by some adds a huge number to the list, even compared to those just reported by many.

After the initial mapshare update, I would expect subsequent ones to be closer the 0.1 meg we're accustomed to. Little danger of filling up your available storage with mapshare. Still totally different from any previous map update.

FWIW I called TomTom this morning and asked about this issue. The response was that there could be as many as 20 updates a day, or just 1 single update or none. And the size depends on what corrections users submit.

I have mine set to "corrections by users TomTom trusts" or something like that, and I only set it once when I first bought it, and have never changed it since.

Correct. But the point remains that it appears the user mapshare changes that TomTom said would be included for the first time in this map update are not physically part of the map but instead supplied as a bulk mapshare download upon first connection to home after updating the map. Previous "trusted" mapshare updates after other map updates have always been very small and initially only a few hundred changes. This one is different, encompassing mapshare changes submitted prior to this update from what it appears.

interesting gator guy.

FYI today's mapshare update was a tiny 0.6kb update.

I also downloaded and installed ver 8.25 maps. And now my file used has gone down by a large amount. Used space is now 847,609,856 bytes (808MB), down from the previous 835MB space used.

Ask a Question