Where is my backup

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom XL
Hi...complete nood so please be patient with me.....I did a search but did not find an answer...;)

I followed the sticky on what to do for the 1st time you use your TomTom...
So I install the software with updates and connect my TomTom to WinXP...no problems so far...I click on make Backup and it starts....I notice the files are backing up to drive letter H:
When I look in windows explorer....I cant find and sign of the TomTom...
It shows up in device manager but it doesn't seem to populate a letter in Explorer....
Last thing.....where is the back up being done...is it on the sd card??:confused:

Well, it should have a drive letter... Mine came up with the label TomTom. Make sure you refresh Explorer to ensure that the drives appear.

As for where the backup is, it should be in your My Documents under the TomTom folder. It's under several sub folders, but it should be there.

Thanks for the reply SShadow,
as for explorer...I did a refresh a couple of times.....changed usb port and the drive letter doesn't show up....:(
Maybe i'll try on my Mac..:D

As for my back up...I did notice the folders you mention but I had named my backup "OriginalBackup" but that is not what is indicated...I'll have a look again later tonight......

Thanks for the reply SShadow,
as for explorer...I did a refresh a couple of times.....changed usb port and the drive letter doesn't show up....:(
Maybe i'll try on my Mac..:D

As for my back up...I did notice the folders you mention but I had named my backup "OriginalBackup" but that is not what is indicated...I'll have a look again later tonight......

Backup should be located in the following folder:
C:\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Backup\GO\Backup01

Birdman....That's exactly what I have....I just thought that it would be named
"OriginalBackup" instead of Backup01....so I guess I solved 1 problem....thanks

Birdman....That's exactly what I have....I just thought that it would be named
"OriginalBackup" instead of Backup01....so I guess I solved 1 problem....thanks

For whatever reason, TT HOME will not create multiple folders when you make subsequent backups. You would think it would make a Backup01, Backup02, Backup03, ... However, it overwrites the backup you have with your latest data.

This is why i simply copy this folder over to my own folder after I backup.....that way I have a snapshot in time that doesn't get overwritten with subsequent backups.

Just an update to my problem.....

So I installed Home 1.6 on my Mac and then updated it to 2.2
Hooked up my XL and it was recognized right away.....
It added a hard drive icon on my desktop(unlike windows Xp)
I was able to browse to contents and see the files....
I was able to update the mapshare (unlike XP again)

and now all is fine....:D

thanks for all the help....

For whatever reason, TT HOME will not create multiple folders when you make subsequent backups. You would think it would make a Backup01, Backup02, Backup03, ... However, it overwrites the backup you have with your latest data.

This is why i simply copy this folder over to my own folder after I backup.....that way I have a snapshot in time that doesn't get overwritten with subsequent backups.

Thanks for the tip. this is a great idea

Ask a Question