Where to find a good backup for go720 with no map?

I need a good back up of a go720. I have the map. I formatted my unit and my back up is not working. Thank you in advance.

You can download the latest Navcore for your device by clicking the following link, unzip it to the device which will install the Navcore software to the device:

Once that software is on your device it should be possible to use Home to recover the other missing files, purchase a map and you will be good to go, although your mp3 player won't work as you will have three specific files missing, I will e-mail these over if you let me know a valid e-mail address, either send me a reply by PM/ e-mail etc.

If you want to continue rebuilding the device without resorting to using the TomTom Home software you can get the TTS voices:

American Dave Voice

American Susan Voice

British Kate Voice

British Simon Voice

To get the voice recognition working you might find these files handy to copy in to your map folder if its a European map, I don't have the USA file download link available at the moment:

ASR_720.1803

- Mike

Thak you for the app.

I keep getting flash screen with this ( My tomtom with an SD card coming out of it and then it shows a red X on top of the SD card). I think Is asking for and SD card but I have never uesd and SD card in the TomTom.

My Go720 gets recognize by the comoputer but not home.

It was working ok before I formatted the drive. I formatted due to a slugish response of the TT while on route.

After you have installed the download to the device can you see the files and folders as there should be quite a few when you view the device drive letter using Windows Explorer, otherwise consider extracting the folders and files to a blank SD card and inserting that to the device as the device will boot from the card once it sees the Navcore installed to it - Mike

Last edited:
Thank you for all of your help.
I think this is a no go. My TomTom is dead. I tried everything and still is not working. TT tech Support said it needs to go in for repairs.
Thank you again.

Have you tried installing the download to a memory card and inserting that, if the built in Flash memory has died it will be far cheaper and easier to use an SD card rather than sending it in for repair (unless of course its under warranty) - Mike

Yeah I tried installing the app into the SD card.
Go720 will detect that there is a card, the SD card with the red X will no longer show, but HOME still does not recognize the TT.
I cant get pass the TT screen showing The TT, SD card an HD drive.

I think i did. I had the TT on with the sd card on it, then I pressed the reset button at the bottom. The unit turned off, then I powered it up and same thing.

IS that the correct way to reset the unit?

Yeah I extracted the cab file to the SD card.
How much are repair normally? If it is to much I will just throw the unit away, ha ha. JK.

I have seen that.
The problem is that the TT does not ask me to connect to the pc. It just connects.
I will try it again.
Thank you.

I tried formatting the TT to FAT with all defaults - installed the Navcore App TT tech support gave me no luck.
I tried formatting the TT to Fat32 with allocation unit size 4096 - installed NavCore - mo luck
What is the allocation unit size?

My go720 would not ask me to coonect to pc at all. It is just being detetcted as a storage drive I guess. I am using vista now.

I really want to fix this guy. It has worked perfectly until I formatted the other day in my mac.

Don't worry too much about it just connecting straight to the C it is doing this because the Navcore isn't booting up, have a look at the drive letter associated with your TomTom or SDcard, do the contents look exactly like this:

If not can you describe what you have got, the picture above is a clean install of Navcore 8,351 directly to the SD card with nothing else on it - Mike

Don't worry too much about it just connecting straight to the C it is doing this because the Navcore isn't booting up, have a look at the drive letter associated with your TomTom or SDcard, do the contents look exactly like this:

If not can you describe what you have got, the picture above is a clean install of Navcore 8,351 directly to the SD card with nothing else on it - Mike

I have all the exact same files as the one you have.
A few of the thing that are weird are the following.
-This TT came with a sticker on the slot for the SD card saying it did not require an SD card. Ever since I formatted the drive on my mac to msdos fat it starting asking for a card.

-I have a card so if I insert the card, it stops asking for it, but it will flash a picture of a SD card and the HD of the TT

Currently I have formatted the TT to FAT and all defaults (Allocation Unit size)

It was working until I formatted the drive. So I find it hard to believe is hardware related. I have to be doing or missing something crucial here.

I was thinking about something, when I did the Format of the TT on my mac. I changed the security erase options to "zero out data" . If tomtom puts a partition on the TT's hard drive to initialize the TT, like the pictures of the tomtom on the docks, the red x icons and so forth. Maybe the format to "zero out data" corrupted those files and that is why I can't get pass the SD card with the red x on it.

As of right now, I have 8.351 on it and TT home is now detecting it. I can "Operate My Go" on HOME but once I disconnect the TT from the computer it just sits on the SD card coming out with a red X image.

Format the device to FAT 32 and re-install all the files it should then work, don't worry about the "splash" screens these bmp files are stored in the root of the device and can be clearly seen in the screen shot I posted earlier, well antitheftw and lowbatteryw can be seen, not too sure where the splashw.bmp file has gone - Mike

Im have the exact same issues. .except mine started with the last update .. I too have never used an SD card. . Im on a PC with Vista. . Tech had me reformat .. (saving several folders to my desktop) the device shows all the stuff there when I connect to the computer .. but I cant get it to move beyond that darn flashing SD car .. with or without one in it. .

Ask a Question