What is the purpose of the SD card?

Hi all,
I have just bought a Tom Tom Go 630 Traffic on eBay which arrived today. It all seems to be working as it should and I don't have any problems that need sorting out. I DO have a question though.
What is supposed to go on to the SD card?
At the moment, the SD card slot is filled by a dummy card to keep out any dirt or dust.
I'll take a wild stab in the dark and say that I think that anything stored on the SD card will take longer for the Tom Tom device to access that files stored on the device itself.
After I post this question, my next job will be to find out how big the storage area is on this Go 630 and how much space the maps are taking up. It looks as though it has been reset to factory settings, which is good, but it means that maps for the whole of Europe are installed (or so it seems). It's not really a problem but I would like to install some Celeb voices and even my own.
Also, is it better to store POI stuff, including Safety cameras, on the SD card or on the device itself?

Cheers for any info,
Steve

With the latest application (8.351), you can have up to a 32 gig sdhc (not sd) card installed for additional maps. Pois are kept in the specific map folder.

You can store 1 map on internal and another on the card. In reality a 4 gb card is probably fine.

Connect to the computer and use Explorer to see what's on your unit now. Explorer will also show you the free space available.

There isn't near enough DRAM on a TomTom to hold everything that is already stored in its NVRAM, so be advised that speed (with the right SD card) will not be an issue. Just be sure you work with a Class 6 or better (better won't help much) SD card.

I keep all my maps on SD. Some people keep a gazillion mp3 tunes there. Some keep massive custom POI files. Depending upon your needs, you may not need it at all. It's very specific to a user's needs.

Ask a Question