Using the TT1 for Pedestrian Purposes

A few weeks ago I was in Chicago, riding the EL and walking. As often happens I could not get off at my desired stop (which is only one block from my destination) due to construction. I had to go one stop passed. Of course, one stop can mean many block and upon entering from the tunnel I decided to use my TT1 to get me where I wanted to go.

The problem was that after the TT1 FINALLY acquired the satellites it could not maintain an accurate position. It would not update as I traversed the blocks.

Has anyone experienced this? Is walking speed too slow? At first I thought it was caused by the buildings but I never lost the signal after it was acquired.

All TT:s carGPS are made for using in cars, i.e travelling on streets, primary.
The hardware ans software Navcore is forcing the cursor to stay on the nearest street as long as possible, if you walk for example in to the wood, buildings, parks... without streets.

For what it's worth, I used the original Go Classic for walking tours in "pedestrian" mode in several European cities and never had a problem. In fact, it was quite useful in letting us know whether the next location was within walking distance.

All TT:s carGPS are made for using in cars, i.e travelling on streets, primary.
The hardware ans software Navcore is forcing the cursor to stay on the nearest street as long as possible, if you walk for example in to the wood, buildings, parks... without streets.

I walked on the sidewalk only a few feet from the street as you must do in downtown Chicago. I didn't stray from the streets into the buildings. But I just could not get the TT1 to update my position. It was more than 2 blocks off at some point.

And FWIW, they do have a pedestrian mode in the menu my TT1.

Yes, I know that in all TT:s you can choose pedestrian mode and it works fine (exept too short batterytime) so long you walk on the street and the street is on the map.
Problem starts when you walk on street witch is not on the map, or walk in some distans beside the street (say +10meters away from street on the lawn).
What I try to explain is that non TT model is god as "OFFROAD" GPS.

Last edited:

Ask a Question