What can SD Card be used for in my 730?

Hi all.
Just a quick question. Can the SD card be used for voices, icons, and other internal tomtom stuff -- maybe even storing the maps? Or only for "extras" like mp3, audiobooks, pictures, etc?

Thanks.

Steve

Yes ...all that and more ....:
Look at insert ..:

Attachments

• 1-6-2010 9-32-24 PM.jpg
    1-6-2010 9-32-24 PM.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 336
So I am not sure what the jpg is supposed to show me. Sorry :eek: . But I truly appreciate the response.

I guess my question is -- I am not really interested in playing music or pictures on my tomtom. But I want to get the updated poi posted on this site without sacrificing the 4 voices I have installed and I may fall for the celebrity voices down the road. So do I just buy a SD card and the tomtom figures out to the put what it needs onto the SD card to fit it all the voices when it doesn't have room in main memory? Or do I manage it manually and just grab a directory of some size and move it onto SD card to make room in main memory if need be?

Also -- any restriction on SD card?

Thanks.

Steve

For the 730 model, you can use a sdhc card up to 32 gigs in size (though that's overkill, I think).

Anyway, I'd suggest getting a 4-gig reliable sdhc card, the faster the better, from companies such as SanDisk or Kingston. Don't buy them on ebay as those cards are frequently frauds.

Then, I'd suggest moving the map folder to the card and running from there (that's how I have mine set up). This will give you room to store more computer voices on internal as well as celebrity non-computer voices (which don't take up nearly the space that computer voices do).

And you'll still have room in either internal or the card (or both) for mp3s, etc.

Thank you for the response. I completely understand what you mean.

So one more question: If I move the maps over to the SD Card, if I ever buy an upgrade to the maps, and use TomTom Home to install it then is it smart enough to know to use the SD Card for the upgrade and overwrite those maps or do I need to rearrange things to free up main memory because it will create a maps directory on main memory and try to put maps there?

Talking about 'Home' and 'smart' in the same sentence is an oxymoron. :(

With the sdhc card in the unit, when you connect to Home, it recognizes the existence of the card and asks whether you wish to select the card or internal for the storage.

So, this is what should happen............

1. You connect to Home and select the card (assuming the existing map is on it).
2. You update the map (when the time comes).
3. Home should download and install the new map over the old one with no involvement on your part.

(notice the italics above?)

Reality:
1. Always make an Explorer backup prior to a major upgrade. So you would make a backup of the sdhc card (namely, the map)
2. There is a bug in the current version of Home such that even if you select the sdhc card, it tries to install stuff to internal as well OR internal instead of the card and, as well, if you select internal, it tries to install to the card as well OR instead of internal.

So..........it may happen that you have selected the installation to the sdhc card but it installs to internal instead. If so, just move the new map folder from internal to the card after backing up the map folder from the card prior to the update and then deleting it from the card.

But that's a worst case scenario.

Hopefully, by the time the next round of map updates is due (at least 6 weeks), a newer Home version will be out to fix this faulty storing problem.

On my 930, I have North American maps on internal storage, along with all voices. I have European maps on a 4GB SDHC card. I have MP3s on both internal storage and the SD card. Note that the folders must be named correctly. My 930 is then able to combine MP3s from both sources into a single list.

Ask a Question