Confused about SD Cards

Just got a new TT 1 that was preloaded w / SD slot and no SD. Bought a non TT PNY 2 gb SD and set it up per the sticky instructions on the forum. Or should I say tried to. It didn't work. I tried again. Again no joy. So, I undid what I tried to do and restored the backup I did.

Sorry if this has been covered. Promise I tried to find the answer before posting.

So, how do I get this to work for me and the TT 1 I have that came w/o an SD?

Thanks!

Ken

I read somewhere about people having trouble with PNY cards. For some reason, TomTom's don't like them. Brands like Sandisk and Kingston work well.

I should have known.................

Sometimes a good deal, cheapo SD card, isn't a good deal. :D

Thanks!!!!

Ken

In what way didn't it work? The unit wouldn't boot at all with the PNY card installed, or what? Perhaps there's another issue, unrelated to the SD card brand/quality that you're seeing.

I mention this only because I bought two 2GB PNY SD cards for my TomTom (a GO 510), and I've had absolutely no issues with their performance.

SD Question

TomTom XL...I inserted a new Lexar SD card, formatted on my computer in FAT32, and TomTom comes up with a pair of moving hands which are X'ed. It just sits there, keeps moving, and goes no further. When I remove the card, the disclaimer comes up, I agree and everything works just fine.
Why doesn't TomTom XL recognize the card, or, doesn't it like a card formatted in FAT32?
I would appreciate someone responding who has experienced this .
Thank you

irwg, what exactly did you copy onto the SD card? You need both the application files and the map folder. It should be a duplicate of what's on the internal memory (except that you can have a different map).

Do not format to "FAT32"

TomTom XL...I inserted a new Lexar SD card, formatted on my computer in FAT32, and TomTom comes up with a pair of moving hands which are X'ed. It just sits there, keeps moving, and goes no further. When I remove the card, the disclaimer comes up, I agree and everything works just fine.
Why doesn't TomTom XL recognize the card, or, doesn't it like a card formatted in FAT32?
I would appreciate someone responding who has experienced this .
Thank you

TomTom and virtually ALL portable devices that use flash memory cards (cameras, MP3 players, GPS, etc.) use the "FAT" format. The operating system on small devices generally can't deal with the small cluster size produced by "FAT32". Try reformatting to plain old "FAT" and I think you will have success.

Last edited:
In what way didn't it work? The unit wouldn't boot at all with the PNY card installed, or what? Perhaps there's another issue, unrelated to the SD card brand/quality that you're seeing.

I mention this only because I bought two 2GB PNY SD cards for my TomTom (a GO 510), and I've had absolutely no issues with their performance.

It creates an error message and asks if I want to send a message to Tomtom (much like the way Windows does).

I went out and bought a SD SD card and will give her another shot tonight.

I'm impressed with the technology, but I'm not to impressed with how quircky the Home program is. Guess the English idea of functional is different than the US idea.

Ken

Okay, you can blame it on PNY if you like... but it sounds to me like you didn't have anything actually installed on the SD card, and thought it to be a problem of the card. If you follow the same path (putting a blank, albeit formatted, SD card in the slot [from any manufacturer]), you'll likely repeat the results you experienced with your "bad" PNY card.

Possible conclusions (listed in order of increasing probability):

1) All SD cards are faulty, regardless of brand, price, or availability.

2) Hardware (SD card slot and/or attached electronics) is faulty.

3) User Error.

OK guys..thanks
I'll format the card to good old FAT if TomTom can't handle FAT32. Then I'll copy from memory to the card.
Thank you very much.

Okay, you can blame it on PNY if you like... but it sounds to me like you didn't have anything actually installed on the SD card, and thought it to be a problem of the card. If you follow the same path (putting a blank, albeit formatted, SD card in the slot [from any manufacturer]), you'll likely repeat the results you experienced with your "bad" PNY card.

Possible conclusions (listed in order of increasing probability):

1) All SD cards are faulty, regardless of brand, price, or availability.

2) Hardware (SD card slot and/or attached electronics) is faulty.

3) User Error.

In my case, I conclude that it's #3. But, I'd like to be able to do the gen X thing and blame something or someone else to avoid personal responsibility. :D

Ken

Ask a Question