weather

hello,could anyone please help a rookie ?
I have a TomTom One and I'm interested in the weather feature,
I have the phone matched to it ( I think ) A Motorola V551
it says I need to set a wireless data so I have it search ( bluetooth is enabled on phone ) but no luck connecting.

I have Cingular for a provider ( now called AT+T )
I got media net today on my phone thinking that would provide a connection for the TomTom but still no luck.

PLEASE HELP ( I also realize my phone is not listed as a compatable phone to the TomTom, so I tried a few other models with no luck.

any ideas ????

Is it just weather you are having trouble with? Can you use buddies and/or traffic? I know in my area, I can't get weather and traffic b/c I'm not in a major metro area. But the minute I drive into Dallas, I get both. Where are you located?

I dont have camera's nor buddies
installed.

but I am located in USA / New England / Massachusettes

its really fustrating trying to get this to work, like I said before they both paired up but...

what do I put for Access point name:
User name:
Password:
Dial:

I try a few different things and my phone makes that " out of order tone"

Just as Pedro Said... on your ONE go to
Change Prefernces
Edit TomTom PLUS account (page 6 of 7 on prefs) <--- provided you don't have a custom menu.

The next screen is where you enter your email , click done
Enter your password, click done...

that's it

I guess I'm not explaining this thorough
can anyone give me a step by step guide to set up a wireless account ???

I read the steps on the support page ( didnt work )
again I have cingular as a provider, a motorola v551 phone.
today on my phone account i got medianet ( because I figured that would give the tomtom unit a wireless connection )

yes bluetooth is enabled, setting up the tomtom wireless it asks what is the access point name ? so what do I put ? and the next step ?

thats what I mean by a step by step guide.

sorry to sound dumb but its getting to me now
thanx for the help

sorry I meant to say I got medianet on my phone today to provide tomtom internet service.

ya know the type you get news, weather, sports etc..
is that enough ? or do I need to get the basic media package just to view
the weather, etc... on my tomtom ?

I think someone mentioned that with one of the tel. companies, you have to sign up with a package that will allow you to surf the web (i.e. use GPRS). That's what TT uses to download weather, traffic and buddies.

i just helped my friend set up motorola v3 with cingular and worked fine but i did not work with cingular but the one below it media something i think and it worked if it helps

I use Cingular, and I did have to choose the medianet option. Works fine. Hope you get it working!

well I gave my Motorola V551 a rest, now I have upgraded to a Motorola Razor V3.

I configured it with no problem ( hooraayy !!! ) goal achieved.

thank you to those that gave suggestions and tried to help.

Good deal, enjoy the PLUS services, especially traffic, while they are free! :)

You need to ensure that your phone supports Bluetooth Dial Up Networking (BT DUN) and that you have the appropriate service permissioned through cingular. Most wireless carriers charge a premium for teathering (I know Verizon). Ensure you wireless carrier supports this feature and it is enabled.

lastly Cingular should be able to provide you with the access point name, username and password as well as the other network settings as these settings are specific to your wireless carrier and not TT.

Ask a Question