Watch a Movie on your TomTom

Watch a movie on your TomTom (cont.)

Anyone know why this original thread was locked? I figured it must be by accident since there's nothing really controversial in the thread that would've resulted in it being locked. If there is a reason, feel free to delete this post!

Anyway, I wanted to give you some feedback on the Makayama product. I think I was one of the first people to buy it (seriously), and originally I liked it. However, they have since completely stopped supporting the older Go models (as in anything not X10), even ones running v6 of the TomTom software like mine is. The Makayama installer insists on downgrading your device to the original firmware version that it came with out of the box. That's significant for older Go users, since that would put us back at v5 of the TomTom software. I emailed them, asking why they don't support the older GO devices running v6 of the TomTom software since they support the X10 running the same software version, and they responded with something rather curt and vague (slightly paraphrasing): We have decided not to support the older Go models running any other TomTom software other than the original. This is a company stategy based decision that we are not at liberty to discuss futher." They also told me that if I wanted to run their product that I couldn't run a hacked version of the TomTom software, which is ridiculous since I specifically told them it was an official software upgrade from TomTom.

Overally, I'm disappointed in the product since they completely abandoned older TomTom users just months after the original product release date. I also don't understand why their software has such a specific requirement of certain TomTom software versions, and won't work when running the latest official updated from TomTom. That just seems like bad programming to me. It's not like it can't be done when the competitor's app is apparently doing it.

That being said, the video conversion (DVD to TomTom) works great. I own several apps that convert DVDs or video files to iPod, Palm, PocketPC, or portable Windows Media Player formats, and this Makayama product does it the best and the fastest. Since it converts it to a DivX or Xvid (I forget which) AVI file, you can use the video on any portable device that can play AVI's. I use it to convert stuff for my kids' video iPods as well as my Palm device and my Creative Zen (portable Media Center).

So, in summary, I cannot recommend this product for TomTom use (way too many compromises), but if you have the need for it for another portable device that you may own, I can recommend it highly. FYI, they do have dedicated apps for iPod conversion, phones, etc., on their site, so rather than getting the TomTom app to use on other devices, you may just want to pick up the device specific app.

Had a major browser and computer failure one day that scrambled my data and screen. I hope I did not lock this by accident.

I did some tests with different Video encodings using Mac Video conversion tools. Below is what seems to work best.

Video format for TomTom Media Center:

File Type: .avi
Video Codec: mpeg4
Size: 480x272
Bitrate: 400

Audio---
mp3
48000hz Stereo
56kb/s

Hope this helps...

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 279
I did some tests with different Video encodings using Mac Video conversion tools. Below is what seems to work best.

Video format for TomTom Media Center:

Audio---
mp3
48000hz Stereo
56kb/s

Hope this helps...
Is that for the 3.5 or 4 inch?

Edit: n/m, it's 4" lol

Edit2: How do you load it such that it'll play?

Last edited:
I just mount the Tomtomt device as a harddrive (connect to computer = YES) and drop my converted files into the video folder created by the media center installer. In windows im sure this device should show up in windows explorer as a harddrive as well. (Im on a Mac)

Media centers software/plugin doesnt seem to work very well, I expect tomtom to add this feature in the future.

Hmm, I'm sure there must be other changes to have it shown on the screen. Dropping it into a folder won't do much unless that folder has codes to tell it what to do.

Oh well... guess I'm out of luck for now.

It works for me. Not all videos Ive tried though. I will try a few more. Of-course Media Center is installed on tomtom. Media Center looks to the video folder for what else... videos. Looks like you didnt fully read what I wrote above...

"Video format for TomTom Media Center:"

Ok now I'm just as confused as I am excited.

I have the TT1

makayama says it's NOT supported.....

MobilNova says it is.

Can I or can I not use this software? I don't want to waste money OR scrrew up what I already have on my ONE.

Work on a MAC?

What format is the video in?

I'm wondering if I could convert a video using imovie and load it on the 910?

Sounds like a weekend project for sure!!

Crashdude

I'll play guinnea pig for the ONEs...

Got me a second SD card and rstored an origional backup to it and will try both programs for S and Gs...

I'll report back.

Don't bother with a ONE

Makayama Software lets you choose your model then spits you out....

Attachments

• makayama.jpg
    makayama.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 327
These settings seem to work when converting the Video on the Mac. I use VisualHub to do my conversions. Never used Imovie for this - I think iMovie only does MP4 - H.264 for quicktime. Video conversion can be a real pain.

Audio---
mp3
48000hz Stereo
56kb/s

I tried Makayama. Worked well. Two things I don't like - sound is WAY low; it is very invasive; has to literally overwrite system files..

I'm looking for a less-invasive solution that doesn't need to modify your firmware.. Anything yet?

Hmmmm MobilNova.... (I believe I have a post or two about that) :)

smash, are you saying you got Makayama working on your ONE???? Do tell!

Looking at this page:

http://www.tomtom.com/page.php?Page=gpl

scroll to the bottom to mplayer desc.

#
MPlayer
This program is used to play video and audio files. The official MPlayer site is:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/

The base version we used can be downloaded from:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html

Tomtom fought and lost the GPL appeal as we know since it runs Linux. Shouldn't it be a relatively easy thing to do to take the Linux source for the Mplayer and compile it for the TT? I mean for those with the SDK for Tomtom, it should be easy to do. Any ideas why there's only Mobilnova and Makayama??

Ask a Question