Voice Recognition on 720 - Discussion

I'd just like to add a note saying thanks pedro for this walk - thru..
i assumed at first since I just bought this 2 days ago i'd have everything i'd need , but it had no cspeechxxx.dat files at all.. so that file you posted was definitely appreciated.. I'm in Canada right now so I only bothered copying the cspeech_CAN.dat over, (and of course the ASR file with the '1' flag..

after doing both of these things, they are now coloured and recognizing my commands.
much thanks!!
for anyone who wants to know;
App 8.350
Map: 'North_America_2GB' v710.1584
(i'd like to know is this the latest version? my 'latest map guarantee' through TT home says it is.. but I also read in this thread it can be flaky?'

anyway thanks for all the great help you guys give us thru this board.

Your map 7.10 is almost 2 years old!!!

The newest map, NA version 8.30 was released this week.

If Latest Map Guarantee says you have the latest, then call support at 866-486-6866 and they'll have to add the new map to your account. (You did set up an account at TomTom, right?)

Your map 7.10 is almost 2 years old!!!

The newest map, NA version 8.30 was released this week.

If Latest Map Guarantee says you have the latest, then call support at 866-486-6866 and they'll have to add the new map to your account. (You did set up an account at TomTom, right?)

Lol thanks alot for confirming that.. I was thinking maybe it was a bit older by what some other people have posted, but wasn't sure if maybe theirs was a different device, with different things.. cuz when i go to TT Home it says there's another NA map that has "IQ" routing and i thought maybe that was only for another device. stupid glitchy software!! I definitely set up an account, and I will certainly give them a call later today on a break. Thanks for the tips, appreciated much.

You need application level at leat 8.302 (newest is 8.350) to take advantage of the IQ routing in map 830. The applications are free; the map updates will cost you, of course.

Well It lists it as another map, and with a cost associated with it as well (IN EUR dollars, nonetheless) so that's where I thought it didn't apply to my device.. even though when I go to 'get maps' or whatever that button is, a popup says i'm "5 quarters behind" and do i wish to update, and then tries to charge me for it.. so i'm going to give them a call.

-==-=-=-=-=-
update (edit)
got them to add the updated map to my account, now on the latest version, and pulled the CAN speech file to my device, voice recognition still functioning :)

Last edited:
Grayed out Voice Recognition buttons

When I try enabling the voice recognition buttons on my GO 720, they are grayed out. I have placed the proper support_asr.dat file in the ASR folder on my TomTom and have copied the speech recognition files to the same folder. When I nagivate to an address the buttons are grayed out.

I have firmware version 8.351 and the "North_America_2GB" map v7.10.1584. The GPS has 13.8 MB or RAM free from the total of 64 MB.

Please help!

Thank you for clarifying where to put the CS Speech files. That is a big help.

Hello,

I recently purchased a Tom Tom 720 and am having similar problems to what others have listed.

I have downloaded the support file and placed it into the ASR folder.

I went into my documents folder and placed the csspeech files into my North American map folder.

So far I haven't been able to get VR to work. The icons appear but are grayed out. I've been over the posts here more than once and can't figure out what I'm missing.

Any help would be appreciated.

No option of Voice Recognition on tomtom go 720

before i bought unit, 2 different people from TOMTOM said after i did latest updates , i would have this option. well i received unit today and updated maps and applications and there are no icons showing this. i just got off the phone with tech support and the "foreign" sounding guy stated i was misinformed and even after the updates the 720 will not have this feature. i'm confused???? where is it or how do i get it? i need step by step if someone can help me please. my APP. is 8.351. and my map is N.AMERICAN 2GB, V.8.30.:confused:

You DO have the functionality.........

Check these things:

1. Do you have a bunch of csspeechxx.dat files in your new NA map folder? Yes or No.

If yes, move on to step 2. If not, look in the compressed .cab file of the new map downloaded. Should be found here:
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\map\North_America_2GB

You can look in the cab file using winrar or equivalent utility. Extract the speech files to the new NA map folder on your unit. (unless you DID go get a sdhc card and installed the map there).

Now, do you have the functionality? If no, on to step 2

2. You should have a text file called support_asr.dat with only a 1 in it, no blanks or anything, in the asr folder. Do you?

If no, create one. If yes, now do you have the functionality?

If not, step 3.

3. Use the unit to Navigate to-->City--> and make sure a state is selected in the upper right corner of the city screen.

And, do a pin reset on the unit.

Thanks

Hey DHN, thanks for the help, i will check my computer when i get home tonight. and i will try the suggestions you have made. i will let you know what i find.

i did not go with the SD card. everything loaded just fine. I didnt doubt you before i was just getting conflicting stories.

Are CS reps just not all trained properly at TOMTOM? why would this last guy tell me VR would not work on the 720 no matter what?. oh well..

i found my cssspeech.dat files put where?

dhn, i found these speech files that i need to extract, where do i extract them to? the folder on my hooked up tomtom that says North_America_2GB, or to the folder that just says maps ??? thanks again

that first step worked now what?

i extracted all the csspeechxx.dat files into map, they show now, but next step i cant find.?? looking at the tomtom data i have unit hooked up to computer. second file down is ASR. open it up and there is no file called support_asr.dat, you said if "no" create one. how do i do that? thanks again

I am attaching the file to this post BUT before you save it in the asr folder you MUST rename it from support_asr.txt to support_asr.dat

Attachments

• support_asr.txt
    1 bytes · Views: 265
Bingo !!!!

that worked dhn.. thank you so much for your help, really. one other thing... i synced up my Blackberry Storm from Verizon to the tomotm but only my phone book transferred. the wireless data wont work though. keeps saying fail. there is no work around to this issue is there? if not oh well. thanks again for your help.appreciated.:D

that worked dhn.. thank you so much for your help, really. one other thing... i synced up my Blackberry Storm from Verizon to the tomotm but only my phone book transferred. the wireless data wont work though. keeps saying fail. there is no work around to this issue is there? if not oh well. thanks again for your help.appreciated.:D

I created and replied in new thread here to keep this sticky on topic.

Ask a Question