Very quiet on here

TomTom Model(s)
GO 940
I've only been registered on this site for a few days but it seems very quiet, is this because most people these days have sat nav on their phones?

Welcome to TTF.

Don't forget that this site has members from both Europe (mainly the UK) and North America.

We on this side of the pond haven't had new models in quite a while (the new Go 400, 500 and 600) aren't here yet.

So, forum discussions here often focus on older models and known problems.

@silversid
Agree with your observation. The last few days have been much quieter than normal around here. In the U.S., we're on vacation at the moment. Lots of people are taking off the whole week of 4 July since may are already getting Thursday and Friday as paid holidays.

@silversid
Agree with your observation. The last few days have been much quieter than normal around here. In the U.S., we're on vacation at the moment. Lots of people are taking off the whole week of 4 July since may are already getting Thursday and Friday as paid holidays.

@canderson

That could be it.

Looking at a few of your old posts you really rate the Go 740, even saying you would never get rid of it.

What is it you love so much about it?

Much snappier response than Nav3 user interface. It's a "Live" unit (yes, you can get that on Nav3 units, but it's one reason I prefer it as a Nav2 device -- only that and the 940 offered it). I can get audio out of it other than just the internal speaker (I use a European dock with 1/8" audio out jack). I have a true itinerary function. Prefer the 'open' file system that allows customization and 3rd party software (like Off Road Navigator). List goes on...

As to TomTom's own site taking much of our traffic, that's probably quite true. Then again, you'd never see anyone there recommending the purchase of a Garmin unit to better suit a user's needs, would you? I assume not, though I don't frequent that venue.

Much snappier response than Nav3 user interface. It's a "Live" unit (yes, you can get that on Nav3 units, but it's one reason I prefer it as a Nav2 device -- only that and the 940 offered it). I can get audio out of it other than just the internal speaker (I use a European dock with 1/8" audio out jack). I have a true itinerary function. Prefer the 'open' file system that allows customization and 3rd party software (like Off Road Navigator). List goes on...

As to TomTom's own site taking much of our traffic, that's probably quite true. Then again, you'd never see anyone there recommending the purchase of a Garmin unit to better suit a user's needs, would you? I assume not, though I don't frequent that venue.

Thanks again, would a 940 be a good alternative if I cant get a 740?

Absolutely! The primary difference is that it will come with both European and North American maps and 4GB internal memory instead of 2GB. The 740 would only come with European maps. As I understand it, the 940 also still had the FM modulator to move the audio to your vehicle's audio. The 740 did not. Last, the 940 contains an inertial sensor that retains a better idea of your position in tunnels or other areas where you have no satellite coverage.

the 940 contains an inertial sensor that retains a better idea of your position in tunnels or other areas where you have no satellite coverage.
If it does not have a better sensor than the 930, it does not work unless the vehicle moves at a steady state at the posted limit and along the programmed route.

@Arno
Something sounds wrong about that. If conditions are required as you describe them, that's no more than the usual firmware attempt at tunnel prediction for known tunnels (info in the map data) that is used by units without the accelerometer. My 740 will do that. I don't think your accelerometer is working if you're seeing that kind of requirement.

If conditions are required as you describe them, that's no more than the usual firmware attempt at tunnel prediction for known tunnels (info in the map data) that is used by units without the accelerometer. My 740 will do that. I don't think your accelerometer is working if you're seeing that kind of requirement.
Been like that from day one.
https://www.tomtomforums.com/t20429-please-help-new-member.html#post115034
Also, see mvl's post, 2 below the linked one.

Still sounds like the EPT isn't working if you NEVER get any more than the usual firmware predictions. But as mvl also says in his post, the system seems to really help if you find yourself in an urban canyon somewhere.

Again, what you describe is nothing that current units without EPT won't do if tunnel information appears in the map data.

The EPT properly detected starts/stops in the New York tunnels. They are simple single-entry/single-exit tunnels.

The GPS signals that bounce down the exit ramps in Boston seemed to thorougly confuse EPT.

The good thing now is that I've switched to Android. It's urban canyon positioning is perfect, because Android uses a wifi router registry. In urban canyons it totally ignores satellites. Tunnel processing on Android is still not optimal, the accelerometer is present in the devices, but Tomtom hasn't activated EPT code on the Android app.

Still sounds like the EPT isn't working if you NEVER get any more than the usual firmware predictions. But as mvl also says in his post, the system seems to really help if you find yourself in an urban canyon somewhere.
Well, maybe mine only conks out when I am on the road under the elevated express way. It works OK in the other scenarios.

Ask a Question