Using Google maps question

Can I plan a itenerary using google map and copy it to my TT1 as a itenerary. And if you can is there direction somewhere here on this forums?

Can I plan a itenerary using google map and copy it to my TT1 as a itenerary. And if you can is there direction somewhere here on this forums?
You bet. There's a program called Tyre that works VERY tightly with Google Maps. When installed, you'll also find it creates a special spot for itself in TomTom Home. You can find it here:

Tyre

Jeff,

Most people around here will probably recommend T.Y.R.E.
(You download and install - good news is it integrates with HOME)

Here are also a few other online sites that will convert a google route to an itenerary.
http://www.houghi.org/tomtom/
I love how this person documented how it's done.
I can see me using that in the future and creating a program that will generate custom POI for gas prices knowing that now ;)

ZRP - ZeroRoutenPlaner created by zrp
zrp has a theread on TomTomForums and if you click the blue quote arrow it should take you there

Send Address Wirelessly?

Is there a way to an address or location wirelessly? I would think you would be able to send it to a PLUS account and get it from there, but haven't heard anything of it.

Thanks,
Jon

Is there a way to an address or location wirelessly? I would think you would be able to send it to a PLUS account and get it from there, but haven't heard anything of it.

Thanks,
Jon
I'm not 100% clear what you're asking. Could you rework that 1st sentence for me? Are you asking if there's a way to send a destination (as a POI?) to the TomTom over some sort of wireless connection?

I'm not 100% clear what you're asking. Could you rework that 1st sentence for me? Are you asking if there's a way to send a destination (as a POI?) to the TomTom over some sort of wireless connection?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I can't see a real benefit of Google Maps having a "Send to GPS" if I have to be at a computer with HOME installed and my GPS connected. With the "LIVE" services on the740 as well as the "PLUS" services on the other models, one would think it would be a "menu" option to download Google Map points.

Just my 2 cents...

Jon

Correct me if I am wrong, but I can't see a real benefit of Google Maps having a "Send to GPS" if I have to be at a computer with HOME installed and my GPS connected. With the "LIVE" services on the740 as well as the "PLUS" services on the other models, one would think it would be a "menu" option to download Google Map points.

Just my 2 cents...

Jon
If you don't ever find a benefit to creating an itinerary the Google way vs. the TomTom way, I guess that would make sense. There's all kinds of software out there that does this via USB cable. All of Garmin's "Trip and Waypoint Manager" software, GSAK (for nearly any unit), T.Y.R.E. (a favorite of TomTom users) all work this way. As popular as they are, people are clearly finding ways to create the kind of itineraries and routing they prefer using these 3rd party tools that are tethered to their GPSr units by a cable.

As for Google, the only reason it can "Send to GPS" from that browser window is because it knows where your GPS is ... hooked to the other end of that cable.

None of which is to say that eventually the folks at Google and TomTom couldn't come up with a wireless method for moving ITN files and the like. You'd have to identify your unit on the Google page somehow so that Google would know to whom to address it on the TomTom server so it could get pumped out across the "Live" server link. Could be in the works, but nobody has it --- yet.

If you don't ever find a benefit to creating an itinerary the Google way vs. the TomTom way, I guess that would make sense. There's all kinds of software out there that does this via USB cable. All of Garmin's "Trip and Waypoint Manager" software, GSAK (for nearly any unit), T.Y.R.E. (a favorite of TomTom users) all work this way. As popular as they are, people are clearly finding ways to create the kind of itineraries and routing they prefer using these 3rd party tools that are tethered to their GPSr units by a cable.

As for Google, the only reason it can "Send to GPS" from that browser window is because it knows where your GPS is ... hooked to the other end of that cable.

None of which is to say that eventually the folks at Google and TomTom couldn't come up with a wireless method for moving ITN files and the like. You'd have to identify your unit on the Google page somehow so that Google would know to whom to address it on the TomTom server so it could get pumped out across the "Live" server link. Could be in the works, but nobody has it --- yet.

This was my thought... one should be able to link their TomTom HOME account with google.... just as I can link my PayPal with eBay.

When I create an Itinerariy, I have the option to "Link" it to my TomTom account, which in turn could be downloaded wirelessly like other services.

I won't beat a dead horse... just wanted to express/clarify my thoughts.

Jon

Actually someone does have it. Garmin handles the wireless delivery, via MSN maps.live and MSNDirect, using a preregistered email address linked to the device ID as the identifier. The destination is then broadcast to the device via FM subchannels from commercial radio stations as long as the vehicle MSNDirect/traffic cable is powered. So really shouldn't be a huge problem if Google wanted to offer it.

Last edited:
Actually someone does have it. Garmin handles the wireless delivery, via MSN maps.live and MSNDirect, using a preregistered email address linked to the device ID as the identifier. The destination is then broadcast to the device via FM subchannels from commercial radio stations as long as the vehicle MSNDirect/traffic cable is powered. So really shouldn't be a huge problem if Google wanted to offer it.
OK - I think that I'm remembering it now. $100 or thereabouts for TMC-style receiver and per-year service that they brought out with their high end units a year and a half ago? I remember looking at the price of the units they were supporting with this, and thinking that they probably wouldn't have any major bandwidth problems ;)

I was thinking along the cellular lines that the TT devices support with Live. Keeps you from being tied to a separate in-vehicle receiver device to pull down the data.

One thing I haven't figured out ... unless the unit is glued into the car, what's so tough about hitting it with a cable to move the occasional itinerary? I do it once a week while I'm jamming a few couple of MB of fresh POI data into it at the same time. The latter would be murder over anything but 3G if I were wireless anyway.

You're right Canderson. Really just as easy for most folks just to connect direct to the computer. In my case I do use it when I have an install crew or estimator out on the road. I can send a new destination to them from my office, making it much easier to find some of the newer or out-of-the-way locations. Also saves me a fair amount of money being able to redirect them to an potential client who may be fairly close to their current location. Most users probably wouldn't really use the remote send function like I do tho_One other benefit to MSNDirect: I bought the service for a one-time lifetime charge, so no annual fees. The subscription stays with the cable so I can transfer it to a new device. That's something else TomTom should consider. Lifetime subscriptions. Lifetime traffic, MSNDirect and maps are all available from the competition. Essentially you're paying for two years up front (except for traffic which is free now anyway), anything after that is a bonus for the owner. Anything less and it's extra money in TomTom's pocket. If they offer Lifetime subscriptions I think they would sell well.

To the OP, what TomTom One do you have?

Last edited:
Gator -

What do you know about the use model for the mysterious "Work" version of the TT Navcore? I had envisioned Live eventually migrating to full dispatch ability and location reporting for fleet use. It would seem to me that the "Work" version is where something like that would appear for Live models.

You're right about the Work version having dispatch, vehicle to vehicle communication, and vehicle-location functions, but otherwise I haven't paid much attention to TomTom Work. Garmin has a similar commercial solution I haven't studied much either. At some point I would think a merging of some of the two-way connectivity already in use for commericial customers with consumers live services would make sense, tho whether TomTom would choose to blur the lines between the two, who knows. FWIW, I think the days of several new pnd models announced each year may have come to an end. Development of new hardware platforms, commitments to production quantities, that type of thing, requires a lot of financial resources. With customers expecting more and more for less, I don't see how they can continue if the potential customer base is declining or moving to a "smartphone" solution. Another round or two of model releases is all I look to see. Just my opinion tho.

WORK appears to be a pretty sophisticated logistics solution.

From what I gather, you dock a Tomtom into a Tomtom LINK client box in each vehicle. It enables 2-way location communications between the WORK client and a Tomtom WEBFLEET server that a company access via web at dispatch. The server tracks locations, and enables 2-way messaging to the Tomtoms. I think the server may have the ability to do fleet planning and push itineraries to the Tomtoms, don't know.

I wouldn't be surprised if the x40s can become WORK clients on their own with simple software patches, and no longer need the LINK transmission dock.

But the WEBFLEET server is a big part of the solution, so the LIVE clients won't stand on their own.

www.tomtomwork.com

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if the x40s can become WORK clients on their own with simple software patches, and no longer need the LINK transmission dock.

But the WEBFLEET server is a big part of the solution, so the LIVE clients won't stand on their own.
Yup - gotta have something to talk to on the other end. But the LINK box should become obsolete with the Live means for communication. You have to wonder about bandwidth. If LINK operates at the same rate as RDS, borrowing space from existing FM subchannels, it only provides about 1.1Kbps.

I remember someone saying in an earlier post that WORK used AT&T wireless.

Now that LIVE uses Jaspar, which uses AT&T wireless, I guess the bandwidth would be identical (assuming ATTWS offers same QOS to Jaspar).

Yup. Just doing some more reading on Work, and they're using GPRS for the Link 300 box, not an FM carrier subchannel as was previously suggested. Makes more sense, and provides the bi-directional necessary for location reporting. GPRS more or less implies GSM which more or less implies AT&T and/or T-Mobile.

Yup - gotta have something to talk to on the other end. But the LINK box should become obsolete with the Live means for communication. You have to wonder about bandwidth. If LINK operates at the same rate as RDS, borrowing space from existing FM subchannels, it only provides about 1.1Kbps.

They just made the LINK box obsolete. They repackaged the 940 as the Tomtomwork 9000. Connects to webfleet without the link box, and does everything else a 940 does (including european HD traffic)

Ask a Question