need help with itinerary using google maps

I need help with itinerary using google maps. I read somewhere here using this web site http://houghi.org/tomtom/ making my own int. and did what it said to do. When i copy it into the place to copy int. it gives me a error saying saddr not specified. I cannot find what this error means. Can some please tell me what I'm doing wrong...thanks!!!

I had similar problems when i first tried to get it to work.

Here is my method, Put in your start, then put in your destination, then hit the 'Get Directions' tab.

You can then drag the road to detour to wherever you want to between those two points. Be sure you move the start and finish point, even if its back to the same place it was to start with.(doesn't work if you don't).

When you have you route laid out as you would like, use the link to this page button. Copy this link and paste it into the address bar and press enter, your map should then reload into google, if the map looks ok, copy the address bar and put that into http://houghi.org/tomtom.

Should then work ok.

The directions at that site are pretty horrible, but the capability it offers is really great and has worked fine for me.

I do it by right clicking the start, selecting "Directions from here." Then right click the destination and select "Directions to here." Then I play with the routing to make it go my way, do the thing about moving the start and destination ever so slightly, then click "Link to this page" and copy the resulting URL that pops up in the pink box.

saddr is one of the components of the URL that google maps produces after you have laid out an itinerary and clicked "Link to this page." It's located at about position 46 in the URL and specifies the starting address. Then there will be a daddr, which is the destination or the first waypoint (if any). Every location after that will be indicated by "+to:"

If you aren't getting a URL like this, then something has gone wrong in setting up the itinerary. Are you sure you started out at http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d ?

From what I've been able to gather by analyzing the URLs, the "important" step of going back to start and destination and moving them ever so slightly appears to involve google providing proper nomenclature for the waypoints. In the URLs that I've looked at, the locations appear to be OK with or without this step.

The itinerary that google produces is actually a pretty minimal one. It contains just enough information for google to be able to accurately reproduce it in the future according to its own routing algorithm. There is no guarantee that TomTom will provide the identical routing between waypoints, as it might have its own idea about things. You might have to go back and forth a few times before you nail it down sufficiently that it comes out the same in both.

Hang in there and keep at it. This capability is ever so much easier than doing it directly on the TomTom.

Last edited:

Ask a Question