Urgent - Storing map onto computer for re-installing

Hi

I live in Scotland,UK

My husband bought me a TomTom One 3rd edition recently. It only had the UK maps on it. Our daughter is going to France on Tuesday and we suggested she take the tomtom.

I went online to TomTom and paid for the download of the France map (after advising which model of TomTom). Only problem is the memory for my Tomtom is 512mb with no slot for additional memory card! I have made back up of existing info in the Tomtom (from Tomtom Home) but if I try to download the France map I shall have to remove UK map. And I need reassurance/advice of how to put it back on when she comes back from France (I would want to store the France map on my main computer).

So, when I remove the UK maps how do I re-install it back on the Tomtom?

I need step by step instructions - can anyone help me. I went into the back-up file for UK maps and there were so many icons, I wouldn't know how to re-instate them.

1. Backup the entire contents of the unit to your computer. Use Explorer, not TTHome. Make sure hidden files/folders are showing as are extensions for known file types. (You achieve that by going to Windows' Control Panel-->Folder Options-->Advanced settings [and the options are able to be selected there].

2. Move the entire existing map folder to the computer using Explorer. Do NOT move any other folders or files.

3. Use TomTom Home to Add Maps/Voices and navigate to items on my Comuter. You should see an item called 'maps' listed. Click on it and it should say France. Choose to install it using Home.

4. After the unit is back from France, simply copy the France map folder to the computer and copy back the Britain map folder you put on the computer in step 2.

Thanks for the instructions. I assume this applies if I downloaded a regional map for the USA, but want to save my USA + Canada map for future use. Seems like TomTom would have some easy way to save maps you've previously purchased otherwise I would have to purchase a USA + Canada map if I travel outside of the region I purchase.

An easy way is to use TT Home (do that for all maps and also applications before you update them). You have Home download the map to the computer. If you need room, delete the map you are not using after the above, and install the new one. Also have TT Home copy it to your computer.

In the future, you then can delete the one you don't need with Home and have Home add the Map you want back. Very quick and easy, and you don't have to cut and paste files.

As dhn said, always do a complete copy of the device with explorer (just in case). But it is easier to move things around (and safer) thru Home.

Ask a Question