Upgrade Problems

Hi Gang,

I recently purchased a 910 and immediately requested the map updates. I installed these, but this has caused me a couple of problems...

First of all, is it normal to have to select your state? Why can't the unit change maps automatically as you cross over state lines? I have a long list of maps to chose from, some combine up to 3 or 4 states, but it seems impossible to select the entire country.

Second, I recently purchased the wi-fi POIs from TomTom. While it worked prior to the map upgrades, it now appears that I need to reinstall these, selecting the map I want the POIs to be applied to. Since I have 20-30 maps now, it would mean that I would have to (I assume) manually copy the POI file to each of the directories containing these maps. Do you know of a better solution?

Thanks in advance.

Don

Hi Don,

It sounds like you installed all the little maps individually instead of the one large North America map (which is seamless and includes all states.) Can you confirm this? I would start again and install the North America map along with any voice files you want. Once you've done that, you may have to install the wi-fi POI, but that's simply just copying them into your North America folder.

Hope this helps!

I think you're right francee

I think you're right about me having installed all the individual maps. I guess I need to uninstall and then do it again. I hope it's pretty easy to do. Any pitfalls to avoid?

Thanks!

Don

Not really. Had I caught you before you began I would have insisted you do a full backup (did you?) But you should be fine, just uninstall those tiny little things and put the North America map on there.

I see you have the 910, so be sure and don't erase your loquendo folder, that's where your text-to-speech voices are. If you lose that folder without a backup, you lose those voices!

Good luck.

Problem solved!

Thanks Fanchee! I uninstalled the individual maps and then reinstalled the big North American one. I then reinstalled the jiwire file. MUCH better.

Thanks,

Don

jiwire is really cool, go check out their website, you might be surprised at what places in YOUR town offer hotspot services. I know I was!

Here I am thinking I was one of the top geeks... goes to show there is ALWAYS someone better than you. :)

Ask a Question