Updating my Tom Tom 930 get error

TomTom Model(s)
930T
I try to update my device Tom Tom 930 get error.
Please see attached file.

How can I prevent this error from happening and resume downloading ?

Thanks

Attachments

• errorupdatemaps.jpg
    errorupdatemaps.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 431
This is screen error I got when download updates.

What is causing this ?

Attachments

• cancelledchangingfiles1.jpg
    cancelledchangingfiles1.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 618
The first post indicates that you are attempting to download post codes for NL and running into trouble with that. So I assume you're seeing that in Home, or doing a full European map update. Might want to focus on the North American map set for now. I assume you must be being offered map 975?

The second post seems to indicate an inability to locate the European download package on TomTom's server. It's clear that the error is happening DURING the European map update process (sounds suspiciously similar to problem from the first post. Again, start again, and avoid any update offered by Home related to Europe for the moment. I can't say for certain that things are in sync for the 975 European map set for the 930. Our moderator Arno owns one, and may be able to tell us what he is experiencing on his end.

Again, deny Home the opportunity to deal with Europe at all and see if all of the North American update package installs successfully.

Resolved (kinda).

Well, I had reported before that I could not do anything about opening HOME.

Screen295.jpg

After reading the OP, tried again, with the same results.
Phoned Customer Support, explained and was told

* Delete the TomTom folder in Application Data
* Go to Start > Run. (Windows Key+R)
* Write: %appdata%
* Delete the TomTom folder from here.
* Go to Documents
* Create folder TomTom
* Inside TomTom folder, create the folder HOME
* Inside HOME folder, create the following four folders:
* Download
* Backup
* From Device
* Sharing

Replied
Following instructions I clicked Start > Win+R and %appdata% displayed.
Clicked OK which opened AppData/Roaming.
Deleted the TomTom Folder .
Opened Documents and the TomTom Folder with its sub-Folders is there,
including the populated Downloads and From Device Folders.
The newest file shown is an Ephemeris .cab and .toc from April 15, 2015
in the QuickGPSFix Folder.

You did not ask for this TomTom Folder to be deleted and I would not do
that anyway as my MyDrive Connect Folder resides there too and is needed
for my various NAV4 Beta test devices.
New CS post after reminding them of the dead line goven to customers:

As I can understand from the email ; you tried following the steps that I mentioned in my previous email. I understand the inconvenience that you faced.
Please try updating the device using a different computer.

Had some time this afternoon and fired up the old XP and when TomTom Home finally started up I got the identical message as the OP.
Clicking OK on that message I got the log in Window, Iternal/Memory Card option and was offered Quick GPSFix and Mapshares.

Had to get my Home location as I had started up with the Europe map.
Made a new POI category Route_66, a POI for London Bridge in Lake Havasu City, AZ.
(The latter, for an other post, was the reason for firing up the 930 again.)

It's all nice an dandy that it works again but I am still miffed having to do that even though I had used the current computer and OS for three years before the trouble.

If you pop into TomTom's Discussion forum, the threads are full of posts by users having major issues with the latest release of Home.

The first post indicates that you are attempting to download post codes for NL and running into trouble with that. So I assume you're seeing that in Home, or doing a full European map update. Might want to focus on the North American map set for now. I assume you must be being offered map 975?

The second post seems to indicate an inability to locate the European download package on TomTom's server. It's clear that the error is happening DURING the European map update process (sounds suspiciously similar to problem from the first post. Again, start again, and avoid any update offered by Home related to Europe for the moment. I can't say for certain that things are in sync for the 975 European map set for the 930. Our moderator Arno owns one, and may be able to tell us what he is experiencing on his end.

Again, deny Home the opportunity to deal with Europe at all and see if all of the North American update package installs successfully.

I am able to download and install the North America map, the Quick Fix Gps and MapShareCorrection successfully as seen on the attachments.

I am still unable to download postal codes for NL and still getting error when I try downloading full European map update.
I am still getting error in the end as in last attachment. So there is nothing wrong on my end, just on server end when I try to download and install fully European Map ? How do I fix the postal codes for NL error ? I think that is the reason preventing me to download and install full European Map.

Thanks

Attachments

• FinishorganizingfilesQFGPSNA_E.jpg
    FinishorganizingfilesQFGPSNA_E.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 436
  • FinishorganizingfMapShareCorrectionsE.jpg
    FinishorganizingfMapShareCorrectionsE.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 398
  • FinishorganizingfilesFullEurope_E.jpg
    FinishorganizingfilesFullEurope_E.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 583
After I click update and install screen on Western and Central Europe map.
I get cancelled changing files screen.

Thanks

Attachments

• updateEuropeMapE.jpg
    updateEuropeMapE.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 453
  • cancelledchangingfilesEurope.jpg
    cancelledchangingfilesEurope.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 1,440
Looking at your last screen print I would think you best bet is to call on Tuesday

TomTom Customer Service
Phone: 866 486 6866

Looking at your last screen print I would think you best bet is to call on Tuesday

TomTom Customer Service
Phone: 866 486 6866

I phoned today. They fixed my account so was able to download and install the latest maps to my sd card.-

Map Europe v975.7685

USA Canada Map v975.7686

Previously they called these maps Western and Central Europe folder and North America folder on my internal memory and on sd card,.

Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB
North_America

Are they actually the same maps in detail but less up to date ?

Now folders on my sd card are labelled-

Europe

USA_Canada

I also now have -

ephem folder

ee_meta.tlv
packedephemeris.ee
ee_meta.txt

maps folder

Europe.tlv
USA_Canada.tlv
North_America.tlv

Should I delete any of these files from my sd card or just leave them ?

Thanks

Make a PC back up of you whole SD card.

Do not delete anything.

Your Europe map may actually include more Eastern countries than the old one.

Your USA and Canada is a much mo=re detailed map than the old one but I think Mexico has been eliminated.

Make a manual backup -- actually two -- one for internal and one for the sdhc card. See here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/thread...-to-the-computer-and-how-to-restore-it.17864/

Then you likely can delete the North America folder on internal for sure. And on the sdhc card.

Can likely do the same for Western_and Central-Europe folders on both.

Do NOT remove the USA_Canada folder (or contents, obviously). Do NOT remove Europe folder or contents.

Make a PC back up of you whole SD card.

Do not delete anything.

Your Europe map may actually include more Eastern countries than the old one.

Your USA and Canada is a much mo=re detailed map than the old one but I think Mexico has been eliminated.

There was no Mexico map in my old North America version in any of the folders I had on internal or external memory.

How do I save my "Add Favourite" data from my old version to new version maps ?
I think when updated that type of data are all deleted ?
Are there special file(s) I have to copy from backup to save previous data to new map versions?

Thanks

Copy the mapsettings.cfg file from the old specific map folder to the new USA_Canada map folder on the device.

Copy the mapsettings.cfg file from the old specific map folder to the new USA_Canada map folder on the device.

So copying mapsettings.cfg from North_America folder to Canada_USA folder and mapsettings.cfg from Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB folder to Europe folder. I should see back all my favourites from "Add Favourites" that I added before the update ? And all data settings would appear same like as before I did the updates ? Any other files I should copy ?
Thanks

Yes. Copy the files from one geographic map area to the same one. Don't criss-cross them between map folders, though!

Only if you have made any personal changes to the map that need to be retained would any other files be involved. Your favorites and settings are in the mapsettings.cgf files.

Yes. Copy the files from one geographic map area to the same one. Don't criss-cross them between map folders, though!

Only if you have made any personal changes to the map that need to be retained would any other files be involved. Your favorites and settings are in the mapsettings.cgf files.

Will that file contain all the old waypoints which are marked on the maps ?
Will I see back the marked waypoints on the new updated maps ?

Not 100% clear what you mean by waypoints -- those are generally something only created and seen in an active route.
If you are asking whether all of your old favorites will continue to appear, yes. And none of your old *.ov2 files should be touched at all. Still, I'd keep copies of them just in case! They're also in your map folder.

Waypoints?
Could it be that Route itineraries in .ITN folders are mean?

Latitude and longitude co-ordinates which one has made at a specific locations and you wish to go back to it in the future ? I guess you call them favourites ? Sometimes you can use Details/ Demo to show how to get there.

Yes that too, are old route itineraries saved or need to copy them .ITN folders after map updates ?

Also I asked about Battery problem about my Tom Tom 930 I am surprised nobody has answered it yet here-

https://www.tomtomforums.com/threads/tom-tom-930-battery-runs-out-quickly.31564/

Or is there nothing one can do about it ?

Thanks

Last edited:

Ask a Question