Updated to 715 North America Maps with no problem

TomTom Model(s)
GO 920T
I was able to update from the 7.10 to the 7.15 maps today without difficulty, thanks in part to the experiences of others documented on this site.

I called TomTom Customer Support at 5:50 AM time local and spoke with "Krystal" who verified ownership (I sent here a PDF of the invoice from my purchase), waived the requirement I send an image of the "Free Maps for 1 Year" coupon, then placed the North American maps in my download queue. The download and install proceeded without difficulty.

Earlier I was able to download the W&CE 7.15 maps to a 2GB SD card inserted in the available slot. Note that this map set left 56MB of a 2GB card unused. Krystal confirmed that this configuration is the recommended configuration as the size of the W&CE map has increased about 25% - from 1560 MB to over 1900 MB.

Krystal also resolved one more question I had had regarding backups on a Macintosh. I run Leopard 10.5.2 and have encountered a strange error when running a backup of the device from within TomTom Go 2.2.2.83. I get a read error for NorthAmerica poi.dat. This is a consistent error from within TomTom Go. As a test, I created a copy of the internal device in a folder on one of my hard drives and this copy proceeded without error. Krystal confirmed that this 'device copy' will serve as a valid system backup which is a bit of a relief to me.

So far, I couldn't be more pleased with the device, its software and the quality of service I have received from the TomTom support organisation. Of course, YMMV (but I don't think it will V by much).

Kind regards,

Stephen Blair
About 45N, -122W or so

Last edited:
Hello and welcome.
Glad you received your map update.
I have my 7.15 map in my account, but I can't download and install it.
Im waiting for a response from TT Support.

Me too. Relatively painless process, save having to scan the documents and upload them to TomTom, then wait for them to put map into account. However, it did go through without a hitch.

Unfortunately at least one map error (road on map that doesn't exist) didn't make it into new map (road is still on the map, but really isn't there).

I run Leopard 10.5.2 and have encountered a strange error when running a backup of the device from within TomTom Go 2.2.2.83. I get a read error for NorthAmerica poi.dat. This is a consistent error from within TomTom Go.

I have the same setup and get the exact same error. I had to install TTH on my XP laptop to get my backup to work. Haven't installed the new maps yet because I was told by a TT support guy that I should do a complete reformat of the device before installing. Haven't had time to call back in to get help on actually doing this.

Also, I need to back up my Euro maps as I'll be needing them in May.

I have the same setup and get the exact same error. I had to install TTH on my XP laptop to get my backup to work. Haven't installed the new maps yet because I was told by a TT support guy that I should do a complete reformat of the device before installing. Haven't had time to call back in to get help on actually doing this.

Also, I need to back up my Euro maps as I'll be needing them in May.

Dont use HOME to backup.
Do a basic manual drag and drop backup with the Mac.

pedro: there are types of 715 maps. what you have for update is the wrong type. they will switch it for you. easy fix. but you have to wait , but it much faster if you just call them.

pedro: there are types of 715 maps. what you have for update is the wrong type. they will switch it for you. easy fix. but you have to wait , but it much faster if you just call them.

Thanks, I had called them a while back on it. They replaced the upload and my NA 7.15 maps works.
I don't see much improvement in the L.A. / O.C. area. The POI.dat file is bigger than the 7.10 maps my 920 came with. The other improvement I see is the freeway speed limits posted now. I've experience other map versions before and I've only seen the freeway speed limits on the 6.50 NA map. It is nice to have it return.

Hello and welcome.
Glad you received your map update.
I have my 7.15 map in my account, but I can't download and install it.
Im waiting for a response from TT Support.

I cannot download it. I have tried it maybe 10 times and I get server time out.:mad:

At first, TT put the wrong map into home and I couldn't download it. They then replaced it with the proper map and the download went fine but the installation failed. What I found out from TT support is that you have to have
at least 4GB of hard drive free to install the maps (I didn't use an SD card but probably should have). Once I freed up some space, the install completed without issue.

The only other problem I'm having is that now TT home shows that my "new" maps are 24 weeks out of date and I have 15,384 MapShare corrections waiting. I have all the boxes selected on Tom Tom to receive mapshare and it is enabled in TT home, but it won't update.

Last edited:
The only other problem I'm having is that now TT home shows that I my "new" maps are 24 weeks out of date and I have 15,384 MapShare corrections waiting. I have all the boxes selected on Tom Tom to receive mapshare and it is enabled in TT home, but it won't update.

That seems to be a problem with the unit's trying to communicate with the server properly. You will find that one day everything goes smoothly.

Behaviour after Updating...

That seems to be a problem with the unit's trying to communicate with the server properly. You will find that one day everything goes smoothly.

I concur. I had the same behaviour initially, after updating to the 7.15 maps. I decided to re-sync and after the 2nd or so sync-ing, everything ran correctly and showed that I was now currently up to date.

Kind regards,

Steph

Ask a Question