Update Woes: TT 340 XL TM

I just got a TT 340 XL TM as a gift, which I promptly connected to my computer to update the maps. Everything went smoothly until I got an error message about an hour in saying that it couldn't copy a file and had to abort the map update. After a reboot, the TT says it can't find any maps.

I'm currently attempting to format and restore it manually through Explorer. I tried a regular format but that failed to complete after five minutes. I did a quick format instead, which completed without an issue. Went through the application updates in HOME and now I'm restoring the maps manually from the completed ZIP file in my downloads folder.

However, this process is taking an awfully long time. Windows 7 is reporting a transfer rate of under 300KB/sec and an estimated time to completion of about 2 hours. Additionally, the Event Viewer is reporting a bunch of paging errors while copying map data over. I guess what I'm asking is if this is normal? It's nice getting a TomTom for the first time but it has been a very frustrating out of the box experience compared to the GPS I have at work.

Thanks.

You need to do a format using fat32 and not check fast format. This will take some time. Installing the map take some time also but should not give any errors.

Well the install worked after the FAT quick format (took a good few hours). Do I still need to format it into FAT32?

Also, I'm running into an issue where it says my maps aren't updated (they are) and I can't download any MapShare data. Any tips on this?

Everyone is seeing that faulty error from Home. Ignore it.

As to the quickformat issue.......

Ususally we suggest a full format since a quickformat doesn't always fix any problems but, if you are convinced that everything is working properly as is on the card then make an Explorer, not Home, backup of the contents and leave it as is...........

Thanks for the advice. Since everything is working now, I'll leave it as is. I'll consider a full FAT32 format if I run into any other issues down the road.

Making the Explorer backup now. Is the HOME backup good for anything at all or it's just there for decoration?

Decoration is a polite term. Too many people have experienced problems using Home's backup/restore functionality.

Decoration is a polite term. Too many people have experienced problems using Home's backup/restore functionality.
Decoration Hell, it is terrible. I tried to do a restore on my XL340S and during the process it stopped.
When I went back to my device it was completely stripped of all information.
Of course support is closed on Sunday so I have to wait until tomorrow to resolve this issue.
Being a professional driver this isn't funny since I had the locations of all my clients loaded.
I would definitely tell people to stay away from backup/restore in Home.

Ask a Question