Unable to update

Make a copy of everything from the TomTom using Windows Explorer, whilst the map is the important bit having everything in one place it makes it far easier and faster to recover a faulty device - Mike

The only items on my back up is:

USA_Canada_Mexixo_P
antitheftw
bootloaderversion
data.chk
tthome.bif

Also, my maps file is empty.

OK...exchanged it for another new unit. What steps should I take to get this right this time?

And register it with a different email address than the first one at tomtom.com. Doesn't even have to be a real one.

OK..I followed the backup instructions per "How to backup the contents of your unit to the computer
" . I now have a complete backup on my C:\ drive.

Question? When I connect to TT Home and I update my device, if I get the same "Error writing file E:\ data.chk" error and my device locks with the flashing X, will I be able to unlock it and use it?

That file is part of the operating system. It is NOT (as Windows falsely claims) a 'recovered file segment'.

You can run a chkdsk X: /f where X represents the drive Windows has allocated to be the TomTom drive.

The important thing to have backed up is your map folder. All the rest can be downloaded for free.

IF you have the specific map folder backed up (using Explorer) to your computer, you can try to format the tomtom drive, don't use quickformat.

Connect to Home and download the application offered. Install it.

Report back.

And register it with a different email address than the first one at tomtom.com. Doesn't even have to be a real one.

I don't see a register link? I have my original log-in from my first unit (I'm on my third unit). Each unit, I've had to use a different email address. This is my last email address for this unit.

How do I do this?
Do you know how to get to a "DOS" command prompt in Windows?

Not knowing which version you have of Win, try this:

Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt

With a pc:

Start-->Run-->cmd and in the box that opens, type what I showed above.

Got a bunch of stuff that I don't know about, but I did see "Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.", so I guess I'm good??

Ask a Question