Unable to Update/Backup - What Next!

Hi
I bought a second-hand TomTom One XL but it has been nothing but trouble so far.
I installed the latest version of Tomtom Home on my PC, connected it and it was seen by the software. I then began getting HOME i/O errors trying to backup/update etc, so looked on the Tomtom website for help and that suggested that I backed up the maps, format the unit and then install the software again from within Home, and then restore the maps. Problem is that I am unable to backup the maps due to an error - i open 'Manage my device' and after a few seconds of scanning I get the error:
ERROR: DesktopLib/DeviceItemScan/Error: Error during scanning for navigation items HomeBase/IO: Error reading file: F:\voices\data35.chk
@ .\portable\cfile.cpp(2013)
@ .\framework\DeviceItemScannerThread.cpp(74)

in .\framework\DeviceItemScannerThread.cpp:74
Stack:
0. function errorAbortTask chrome://tthome/content/logic/ttTask.js:508
error(e);
1. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:77
this._errorCallback(e);
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:69
this._errorFatal(error);

Is there a way to manually back up the maps so that I can format, reinstall and restore them?
It also only came with Polish voices (and no CD), but the two English computer voices are greyed out - if I select them on the unit it tells me that Computer Voices are unsupported,
If I try and use 'Update my device' option I get:

ERROR: DesktopLib/DeviceItemScan/Error: Error during scanning for navigation items HomeBase/IO: Error reading file: F:\voices\data35.chk
@ .\portable\cfile.cpp(2013)
@ .\framework\DeviceItemScannerThread.cpp(74)

in .\framework\DeviceItemScannerThread.cpp:74
Stack:
0. function errorAbortTask chrome://tthome/content/logic/ttTask.js:508
error(e);
1. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:77
this._errorCallback(e);
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:69
this._errorFatal(error);

Anyone help me get this sorted? If I can't sort it, am going to send it back to the seller and ask for a refund.
Thanks
Martin

See the information below regarding how to NOT use Home for your backups/restores:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...4-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.html

Thanks, though due to not being able to use Home to backup anyway, I had manually copied the contents of the device to a folder on my PC.

How then, once I have formatted and re-installed the device OS, do I get the maps back on? Is it just copy the three map folders (UK and Ireland, Eastern Europe and Benelux) back onto my device once I'm ready?

Thanks
Martin

It is, yes. Just reverse the process and use Explorer to copy the map folders FROM the computer TO the device.

It would appear that the unit is now u/s! I am unable to complete the disk format, even via the disk management console and while the drive is seen, it contains no space and windows wants to format it. I am going to find out if the internal drive can be replaced, as without an internal drive and the software, it's not a lot of use to me!

OK so it looks like the internal memory has failed (a not uncommon occurence - it happened on my Go720).

Now... I may be getting confused by the different model names in different countries, but I was fairly sure the "One XL" models (as opposed to the "XL" models) all had an SD card slot. If that is the case with yours, then the entire system and maps can be installed to an SD card.

Let us know if that's so, and we can give more instructions if you need them.

What are the first two characters of your serial number? (the number next to the barcode on the sticker, usually on the base of the unit).

Ask a Question