Two questions about the 930

Hello All,

I'm thinking about buying a TomTom 930, but I have two questions whose answers will decide if I buy it or not:

1. Can you use the TomTom 930 while walking, or does it need to be attached to its window mount?
  2. Can the TomTom 930 have software installed to allow video (eg. divx, avi, mpeg...) to be played on it?

I have been looking for something that has the "total package" and have not had any luck. Ideally I would like something that is a portable media player that has a comprehensive GPS and includes Wifi connectivity. So far I have not found something that has it all and is highly rated, but the TomTom seems to come closest. The other option is the Nokia N810 Internet Tablet, but I have read too many negative reviews during my research, specifically about the GPS performance.

Thanks for any help you can offer!:D

The answer is yes to both questions. Mind you, as you walk with the unit in your hand, the movement of the cursor will appear somewhat jumpy as the screen refreshes with satellite signals.

There are a couple of video add-ons that some posters refer to: tomtomplayer and mobilia (I think the spelling is). Bottom line is 'yes', though :eek:

Thanks for the info.

One more question: What is the difference between the 730 and the 930? As far as I can see, the 930 is only better due to its ability to estimate where you are if it loses contact with the satellites. Does that sounds about right?

Also, you get maps of Europe as well as North America. And the 930 comes with a remote.

the 930 comes with a remote.
I didn't even unpack the remote for the first six weeks because I felt there was just too much to learn. Should have done that first.
While on 4 weeks vacation not tapping the screen but using the blue tooth remote would have made life even easier.
To anyone making a lot of changes in the car or phone calls I suggest, get the remote.

How does the TomTom battery react to playing videos? Does it significantly kill the life?

Also, would you recommend the TomTom for what I am looking for?

Thanks for everyone's input!

Also forgot to add in earlier post that the 9x has 4 gigs internal storage where the 7x has 2 gigs. Both units have bluetooth connectivity, not wifi

Ask a Question