TT720 - Won't play navigation thru car speakers

It appears that the FM xmission option has gone away from my 720 preferences screen, so I can't here the navigator thru the car speakers, is there a quick fix.?

I am frustrated.

RX

The option to transmit the driving instructions on your FM radio was disabled with the firmware version 8.3. If you updated to the latest version, then that could be the answer.

Last edited:
why??

how can tom tom delete a function of our tom toms without a refund with their so called 'updates'?
This needs to be corrected by Tom tom!!!
Theft is what I call it.
Does anyone have a fix for this?:( :mad:

Sage- thanks!!!

A rookie here- how do I rollback to that version?

thanks
cybrvol

Either restore a backup that you should have done prior to the update, or download the 8.010 firmware, which at the moment I can't seem to find the link that has all of the OS versions. Surely someone will be nice enough to post the link for you. If I find it I'll post back.

Either restore a backup that you should have done prior to the update, or download the 8.010 firmware, which at the moment I can't seem to find the link that has all of the OS versions. Surely someone will be nice enough to post the link for you. If I find it I'll post back.

You may already have a copy of 8.01 Navcore under:

username/documents/tomtom/downloads/system.

Check it up.

MA

I must say, the FM modulated output was weak, and, thus, pretty useless. I just use a cord and plug into my car system.

The volume had to be turned almost ALL the way up to hear it whilst modulated.

I agree, the "discarding of a feature" isn't cool either. But,the FM was useless

I ended up using my old Belkin TuneCast II FM transmitter I had laying around and it works wonderfully. The signal is very strong and I now have instructions via FM :)

Here's a link to the product. New ones have probably been released since this model but it works GREAT, and I can choose any station I want, and is even powerful enough to use ANY station you want, meaning, it'll even play over your favorite local music station that you normally listen to. It overpowers their signal. But of course, I'd still recommend you use an empty station for best clarity.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=166893

This just plugs into your line out jack on your TomTom.

This doesn't mean that my beef with TomTom is over, about them disabling the FM transmitter for instructions.

Edit: Just sent TomTom a hefty email speaking out my mind about the disabling of the FM transmitter. I'll see if they give me the same UK excuse. I sent the email about 4 minutes ago.

Last edited:
I ended up using my old Belkin TuneCast II FM transmitter I had laying around and it works wonderfully. The signal is very strong and I now have instructions via FM :)

Here's a link to the product. New ones have probably been released since this model but it works GREAT, and I can choose any station I want, and is even powerful enough to use ANY station you want, meaning, it'll even play over your favorite local music station that you normally listen to. It overpowers their signal. But of course, I'd still recommend you use an empty station for best clarity.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=166893

This just plugs into your line out jack on your TomTom.

This doesn't mean that my beef with TomTom is over, about them disabling the FM transmitter for instructions.

Edit: Just sent TomTom a hefty email speaking out my mind about the disabling of the FM transmitter. I'll see if they give me the same UK excuse. I sent the email about 4 minutes ago.

LOL, maybe we can get a petition going and send it to them

I strongly believe that we should ALL email TomTom about this. This is unacceptable. A threat with a petition sounds nice as well :) If not, a real petition like you say sounds like a great idea. What irritates me is that many retailers still show the TomTom as having this feature. Very mis-leading. Yea you'll all say it's not TomTom's fault but they could at least warn all of their distributors on the change.

I strongly believe that we should ALL email TomTom about this. This is unacceptable. A threat with a petition sounds nice as well :) If not, a real petition like you say sounds like a great idea. What irritates me is that many retailers still show the TomTom as having this feature. Very mis-leading. Yea you'll all say it's not TomTom's fault but they could at least warn all of their distributors on the change.

I would definatley sign a petition, It is one of the few GPS systems that has the FM transmitter and with the new updates, they take it away. I really hate that, if they want to change options they should be adding options not taking them away

here is what they told me when I contacted support.

Thank you for updating your incident. We understand that you are concerned about the recent change to the TomTom application which has disabled FM Transmission of navigation instructions. We deeply regret that it has become necessary for us to implement this change, as our FM Transmission technology was a unique innovation at the time of its release.

TomTom products can be used for travel in many different countries around the world. In an effort to comply with the laws of these countries, we have removed this feature from the product. We regret that this feature can no longer be offered. Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions.

here is what they told me when I contacted support.

Thank you for updating your incident. We understand that you are concerned about the recent change to the TomTom application which has disabled FM Transmission of navigation instructions. We deeply regret that it has become necessary for us to implement this change, as our FM Transmission technology was a unique innovation at the time of its release.

TomTom products can be used for travel in many different countries around the world. In an effort to comply with the laws of these countries, we have removed this feature from the product. We regret that this feature can no longer be offered. Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions.

Ouch that's horrible news. They seem very certain that this feature is really gone now... WOW... Guess I have to stick to my Belkin FM transmitter then... UGH. More wires hanging from my unit now.. ohh well..

I'm pretty sure I will be receiving the same response from tech support when they get to my email. UGH! :mad:

Edit: Seems like petition time! They really need to contact all retailers and let them know that they removed the feature. I even mentioned that in the email I sent to them. As firm as my email to them was, I seriously wonder what type of response they will give me.. Again, most likely the response the poster above me got..

Last edited:
what country would have a law that bans you using your radio? does it make a difference if music is coming from your speakers or instructions? doesn't make sense to me.

what country would have a law that bans you using your radio? does it make a difference if music is coming from your speakers or instructions? doesn't make sense to me.

they have restrictions regarding the broadcasting/transmission of radio signals....even the US has restrictions on the amount of power the unit can transmit.

For us in the USA, the FCC is what this entire issue is about. [i have no idea bout other countries]

For one thing.....this is NOT a new problem. Its been a headache for a couple years now. All electronics Mfg's [who mfg-sell-market fm trannys] have been getting their balls busted over Part 15 of the FCC Rules, Section 15.239

Simply put..... part 15 says your fm tranny thangy can only broadcast for XX-feet. Through the years, the FCC have been collecting complaints. One of the bigger complainers has been National Public Radio -aka- NPR

What happens is that OUR tomtom units broadcast outside of our vehicles and jump into the radios of folks driving around us. I have had this happen to me numerous times.

Finally, the FCC collected suspect fm trannys and field tested. Well, the findings were that many units were out-putting well past XX-feet. Warning letters have been sent out the past two years to retail customers warning them not to use their fm trannys and instead use a direct antenna plug in...to circumvent the over-the-air problem.

As I posted in another thread here...I recieved mine from Sirius Radio.

I'm guessing the FCC has threatened TomTom Corp, and Corp is covering their ass by firmware deleation [thusly, showing the FCC that TT is trying to cooperate]

Maybe newer units will contain a "compliant" FM tranny and possibly the "outtage" will be limited to certain model numbers. Thats just an assumption. On the other hand, a resoursefull person might seek a "fix" using other channels.
I'd suspect if the FCC gets their way?.....persons wanting to utilize their FM Trannys will have walk outside of the box.

What i'm attemting to convey is.... a petition probably useless ifTomTom is following a FCC directive

the fm power on my 930 using the 8.002 firmware was so low....it was more-or-less useless anyhow.

Actual output has allot to do with placement of your unit, the Freq you're using and the weather. That's allot of varibles.

The sound quality of those things suck so bad I never could accept using it. And once you're anywhere close to a major metro market....forgetaboutit.

Ask a Question