TT720, map update failure?

I bought the 18 months update pack from Tomtom, was stopped when it asked if I wanted to overwrite my main memory.
I didn't, bought a 2Gb SD card from Kingston, installed it.

Now each time I try to update I'm getting a 403 error, forbidden?
url is community.tomtom.com/shop/getshopcontent......

I'm unsure if it has updated the maps or not?

Currently showing
app/firmware: 8.351
W Euro maps: 810. 1907

Is this the latest? Where can I look this up please?

Dave

No, it is not the latest. The current version is 865 and 870 is due within a week or so.

A 2-gig sd card isn't of much use. Get at least a 4-gig sdhc card (faster the better -- class 6+ at least) since the current Western_and Central_Europe maps no longer fit under 2 gigs.

And yet the home software offers me that? Nice one TT.

I have the 720, please confirm that it is SDHC
and that 4Mb is OK in that device (which is getting rather long in the tooth, but is fine by me, I'm just getting sick of riding across fields and wanted to bring the maps up to date!)

Dave

A 720 with the latest application (8.351) can handle a 32 gig sdhc card.

Thanks for that.

Pity TT info can't keep up.
Which memory card for additional maps tells me 2Gb max.

Ah well.
So the error I'm getting is connected with the lack
of space for the update, is that it?

10.4.4 403 Forbidden
The server understood the request, but is refusing to fulfill it.

Not exactly clear, is it :(

Dave

So the error I'm getting is connected with the lack
of space for the update, is that it?

10.4.4 403 Forbidden

I have to say that (although the info you've been given so far about SD card sizes etc. is correct), I don't think that's the reason you are getting the error messages you are.

If it was a matter of storage space, Home would be offering you a smaller "zone" of the full map (it has done that ever since the full map got too large to fit on the internal memory of all the 2GB units).

I'm not sure I understand what you're actually doing to update either. A 403 Forbidden error sounds like a browser error and you also give a URL for the TT shop, but Home should be dealing with the update process from now on without recourse to the TT website.

Can you detail EXACTLY what steps you are following, and when the error messages occur?

I'm not sure I understand what you're actually doing to update either. A 403 Forbidden error sounds like a browser error and you also give a URL for the TT shop, but Home should be dealing with the update process from now on without recourse to the TT website.

Can you detail EXACTLY what steps you are following, and when the error messages occur?

Boot PC (win XP).
Connect TT, switch on.
TTH launches

Offers 'select nav device'
(bad prompt, I think it means select target for downloads?)
I select memory card (2Gb)

I'm offered W Europe, 1979.2Mb :) Why .....
Click install and update
.... Ah. Different.
I'm running this on XP. I previously ran it on Win7, hosted on VMWare, under Linux.
Now warned (as you said)"You need a new memory card"
With links to a page showing a 2Gb card at an extortionate price.

At least I'm getting an honest answer now.

I'll come back to this thread when I have a 4Gb card.
Why can't I install over the old maps, using the 2Gb card
as an overflow area? Is the design that old?

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Dave

All the map data for any single map has to remain in one folder you cannot spread it out or split it between two different memory locations that simply won't work - Mike

All the map data for any single map has to remain in one folder you cannot spread it out or split it between two different memory locations that simply won't work - Mike

It would, with a better design? The maps will fit.
the rest of the content could go onto the extra card,
make more sense with maps fractionally over the card size (formatted).

It would, with a better design?

As Mike said, you CAN put the map folder in a different place to all the other system files etc. on all recent TomToms.
But the whole of that map's folder needs to be together in one place.

The maps will fit.
the rest of the content could go onto the extra card,
make more sense with maps fractionally over the card size (formatted).
Usually it's the other way round.
The map is too large for the internal memory, so you put it onto a large capacity card.

As Mike said, you CAN put the map folder in a different place to all the other system files etc. on all recent TomToms.
Indeed. My old 720 has both my N.A. and W.Europe maps on the SD card with all but the maps loaded to internal memory.

Boot PC (win XP).

I'll come back to this thread when I have a 4Gb card.
Why can't I install over the old maps, using the 2Gb card
as an overflow area? Is the design that old?

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Dave

4Gb card installed. Attempted to download/ install the maps.
Locks - no message, until I select only one operation (not helpful). Eventually figure that out.
Wait one hour.
Downloads the map.
Downloads to device.

Errors:

File does not exist: ....MapSettings.cfg
then an incident ID.

I'm downloading to the ext memory card... where I guess
no files exist?

suggestions please?

Dave

The MapSettings.cfg file is created by the device and used to store certain user preferences and POI settings/ recent destinations along with Favourites, I have never heard of a map update failing due to this file being missing.

I would try creating a folder on the card with the exact same spelling of the map folder on your device, copy the MapSettings.cfg file from the map folder on the device to the folder created on the card and try again. Its only recently that TomTom have tried to take steps so users don't lose all their favourites when they update a map, if by doing this they fail to update if the MapSettings.cfg file is missing then they haven't scripted the Home software too well - Mike

The MapSettings.cfg file is created by the device and used to store certain user preferences and POI settings/ recent destinations along with Favourites, I have never heard of a map update failing due to this file being missing.

I would try creating a folder on the card with the exact same spelling of the map folder on your device, copy the MapSettings.cfg file from the map folder on the device to the folder created on the card and try again. Its only recently that TomTom have tried to take steps so users don't lose all their favourites when they update a map, if by doing this they fail to update if the MapSettings.cfg file is missing then they haven't scripted the Home software too well - Mike

Missing file Western_Europe\MapSettings.cfg - TomTom Discussions

Reboot then try again. Worked... I think.
Why waste an hour before telling me this?

Silly afterwards though: Message on TT Home telling me my maps haven't been updated for 20 weeks.

Can I simply delete the maps in the main memory now? They serve no purpose I can think of. Just delete the WesternEurope directory?

Dave

The 20 week message (faulty as it is) appears after every map update. Since there are no mapshares as yet for 870, that message appears. When you do get mapshares, the message should disappear.

If you are SURE the new map works in the location it is saved on your unit, you can remove the other map.

The 20 week message (faulty as it is) appears after every map update. Since there are no mapshares as yet for 870, that message appears. When you do get mapshares, the message should disappear.

If you are SURE the new map works in the location it is saved on your unit, you can remove the other map.

Thanks for that ... They do have some strange habits.

Due caution noted!
I've backed up both the on board and memory cards
using the OS.... I'll wait till I've been out and used it first!

Dave

Ask a Question